Thread: Always read instructions

Always read instructions

Something I wanted to share.

As many of you know I am building a Bill Pentz cyclone and though I have finished it I still have some periferal things to do to it before it is airborne.

But along the way I had occasion to try my hand at welding with little success. The welds worked ok but they were ugly and very not profesional looking. I was using a mig welder I picked up at a pawn shop and was using flux core wire. Preparing to use my "new" welder I download the users manual and read it several times trying ot understrand and learn enough to give it a shot.

I had looked into some of the welding forums and learned that flux core welds are not as neat as solid wire with gas so I rented a cylinder hoping that would help.

I brought the cylinder home ready to fire it up and after rereading the manual references to solid wire and gas I deterimed I needed to change the polarity of the wires for solid wire use as the polarity for "mwog" (metal without gas(something like that)) and mig is different. Well to my surprise I (not) I noticed that the polarity was set for solid wire all along!

I had been welding with the polarity wrong for flux core!

I had the tank and I decided to use it to weld some stuff and it worked ok but I decided to reload it with the flux core and see if it was actually the polarity that made it so bad.

Like night and day! My welds were nice straight beads and almost no spatter, a most common occurance when the polarity was wrong. I even heard the bacon sizzle! On one of the welding forums they described a good weld when the welding sounded like bacon sizzling.

This experiance has tought me one thing so aptly displayed on the side of my welder in large black letters: "Read manual before use!"

Well, just a thought I wanted to share.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Well Julio I can feel your pain. It sounds like you DID try to read the manual but that didn't work. My wife never seems to read the instructions on tv dinners and usually burns them. She's a great cook otherwise but won't read those instructions for some reason. But I'm glad your persistence paid off and you got the job done.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

3. Julio, don't mind me if I got a chuckle out of that story, and why?

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

You see, I TOLD you that the MIG was dead easy to use.

No go put the bottle on it, and switch it back, your gas welds will make the Flux Core stuff look bad too!

Did I miss the pics of your cyclone?

Cheers!

At least you were persistent enough to get the thing working correctly. I like that. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan

Did I miss the pics of your cyclone?

Cheers!
    Not yet, Stu. I have been meaning to post them but have been so tunnel visioned to fisnish the cycloen that I have ignored almost everythign else in my life,

But I will try very soon. It looks awesome!

Remember all those question about the welder I had asked you? Well no wonder it didnt work huh. (We both assumed I was doing it right)

You are right though I will get a bottle very soon. I had to return the one I rented cos the 100 dollar deposit was a bit stiffling. But I will be getting my own bottle soon.

Thanks for all your help , btw.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Instructions
    What's that

Lucky dog

Hi Julio,
    I,ve been looking for a good deal for a MIG or TIG for a while and they are never available. Maybe I'm looking for too good of a deal. Congrats on your score and have fun with the cyclone. JCB.

RTFM - Read The Fine Manual! haha

Julio, I built a BP/CE cyclone...loud sucka...try a search on Sheldon impeller and you'll see a long thread I added much to....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    RTFM - Read The Fine Manual! haha

Julio, I built a BP/CE cyclone...loud sucka...try a search on Sheldon impeller and you'll see a long thread I added much to....
    Chris who?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Me, of course!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.