Thread: Which HVLP conversion gun??

Question Which HVLP conversion gun??

I was finally able to get the oak for the rest of my kitchen cabinets and I was thinking of trying to spray finish them. I can't afford a HVLP system so I'm gonna try a conversion gun. I only have about $130 to spend on it. A guy I know that builds control line planes said the $120 HF gun works good spraying the "Dope" but I don't know how it would work with V.O., Poly, etc... What should I look for in a gun? Anyone have a conversion gun in my price range? All opinions are appreciated as the only sprayed finishes I've used have come from a can.

Thanks,

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Joe. I have a SATA LM2000 "RP" gun, which stands for reduced pressure. I love it. I had the rep come out and demonstrate it. I think I might have paid $150-something for it, but I'm guessing from memory. I do remember that it was a lot less than I was expecting, plus two guys came out to demo it. Such a deal.

I have a 2-quart pressure pot setup, 'cuz for painting the inside of cabinets, I didn't want a gravity cup or a siphon cup in my way. So, if you want that, don't forget the fittings, the remote pot and both hoses and "DUAL" regulators (one for the fluid and one for the air). Some people only use a fluid regulator, but I use both, and using both is the no-guess method.

SATA is considered the cadillac of spray guns. I have a Binks 2001 siphon conventional that I've used since 1986 (on cars) that still works great (I used it just today spraying a primer/undercoater on some MDF!). I also have an ASTURO conventional pressure pot gun that I used today too for spraying enamel. OK, OK, you twisted my arm. Here's a picture: (That's an MDF top on the chest of drawers.) (Tomorrow, it gets sanded and recoated). I sprayed "light" today. If this stupid $@&*~^ enamel dried in under 8 hours, I would have gone heavier.

(BTW, I'll be getting an HVLP Turbine system in the next few weeks... Research, research...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun

I generally recommend the Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun . It's priced affordable, really well balanced, easy to clean and works like a charm. As a total spraying novice, I've been able to get outstanding results with it. I generally spray WB lacquer, but have also used the gun for Rustolium and shellac. The pro guns probably will work better, but at a much higher cost that only a pro or a very, very committed hobbyist can justify. Gleem is also a great place to buy this gun from and Nathan really is top notch when it comes to questions and accessories for it.

Keep in mind that these guns are not really good for thick paints like Latex, although you can get a larger nozzle/needle set that helps out. The number 3 that comes with the gun is perfect for lacquer, shellac and thinned varnishes, however. I haven't shot any dye or stain, but it should work fine. If not, smaller orifices are also available.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-30-2003 at 9:41 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another option

Hi Joe

I have the Porter Cable PSH 1 conversion gun. Haven't used it much but I've sprayed thinned latex and acrylic enamel so far. The latex was on an exterior door and worked sorta OK but I had the door outside in the sun and it was quite warm. I think the paint dried before it had a chance to flow out and the finish is not as smooth as I'd have liked. I also didn't sand the rough factory primer which probably didn't help or perhaps floetrol would have helped. Acylic enamel thinned worked better.

My compressor is an oilless CH 8.6cfm @ 40 6.5cfm @ 90 11 gallon tank. When I first got the gun I hooked it up, set the air flow needle at max, squeezed the trigger and held it. The compressor ran continuously but maintained the tank pressure at 90 PSI. My setup works fine for smaller projects; I'm not about to try painting a whole house with it. YMMV, of course, but for $76 at the Porter Cable service center, I'm happy.

Curt

Thanks. I checked out the SATA LM2000 and it was way out of my price range. Maybe later when I get better at building stuff. I ordered the WAGNER today. Now, any tips on spraying would be helpful.

Thanks again,

Joe

Astro HVLP spray gun

I purchased a Astro HVLP spraygun on the recommendation of the folks over on the WoodWeb Professional Finishing Forum. I have not even had a chance to use it yet, but it looks way better built than the PC HVLP or the other sub $100.00 spray rigs that I have seen up close and personal. I bought the gun through Spraygun World on line (www.spraygunworld.com). Be sure to get the gun that has the aluminum spray cup.
    Almost everyone on the professional finishing forum said that this was the gun to use and a great deal of these folks use them daily in their business. While not a SATA or a Asturo quality, it is a first class spray gun and one that I know will be far better than me and my skill levels for years to come.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    I purchased a Astro HVLP spraygun on the recommendation of the folks over on the WoodWeb Professional Finishing Forum.
    I actually tried that one first, but had all kinds of trouble with it. When I got the Wagner, it was like a breath of fresh air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...