Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: good caul? GREAT caul!

good caul? GREAT caul!

i bought a full set of bowclamps from craig the other day but i was concerned that they might languish in the dust as so many other tools i've bought. up until this point i've built simple cabinets that required only a few clamps here and there or i've used confirmat and pocket screws to eliminate the need for clamping. today i had the chance to glue up a dresser that was inspired by pottery barn only to make the painful discovery that i simply did not have enough clamps until a brilliant thought occurred to me...

craig, this is an awesome product. i'll be buying three more pairs of the two footers from you on monday, BTW.

Last edited by frank shic; 05-06-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Yea, they are on "my list" for acquisition before I start any cabinetry for our addition. Craig's product is super!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I not aware of Craig or bow clamps. Could you elaborate? Is that a clamp on the table in the pic? Thanks Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Blog Entries
    Do a web search on bowclamps. I hope I get this right; they are computer cut hard rock maple cauls that have a slight (but scientifically calculated (?)) bow to them. This along with a groove that accepts F clamp screw tips (or use Bessy's like in Frank's pic) distributes clamping pressure along the surface without the need for half a dozen clamps. I don't have any yet but everyone seems to rave about them and the price makes it hard to consider making your own. The convenience comes in when clamping those surfaces where you can't get a clamp in the middle of a panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    I not aware of Craig or bow clamps. Could you elaborate? Is that a clamp on the table in the pic? Thanks Alan
    Alan, look at the http://sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27 Manufacturers forum.

I have a pair of the 48 inch bow clamps and I thinkt that they are going to come in vary handy. So far, I have only used them once and they worked as adv ertized.

the bowclamps are fantastic when it comes to having to clamp MIDDLE sections in glue-ups. as you can see, they also come in handy in clamping the ends - i used only two clamps on the left side but four on the right because i ran out of bowclamps. i would highly recommend getting two or three pairs of the two footers (i wish that craig had some kind of a deal on these...). the besseys worked alright but they were a little tricky to fit in the beginning because obviously their large square jaws don't fit in the cauls. however, those jorgensen clamps are not too expensive... isn't it ironic that the point of these cauls is to eliminate the need for more clamps but i'm probably going to buy more to be able to utilize them to the best ability? i might try dino's low cost solution of running a threaded rod through two of them at a time and thus eliminate the need to buy more clamps altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic
    the bowclamps are fantastic when it comes to having to clamp MIDDLE sections in glue-ups. as you can see, they also come in handy in clamping the ends - i used only two clamps on the left side but four on the right because i ran out of bowclamps. i would highly recommend getting two or three pairs of the two footers (i wish that craig had some kind of a deal on these...). the besseys worked alright but they were a little tricky to fit in the beginning because obviously their large square jaws don't fit in the cauls. however, those jorgensen clamps are not too expensive... isn't it ironic that the point of these cauls is to eliminate the need for more clamps but i'm probably going to buy more to be able to utilize them to the best ability? i might try dino's low cost solution of running a threaded rod through two of them at a time and thus eliminate the need to buy more clamps altogether.
    Threaded rod, what a great idea! Thanks Dino.

Thanks guys...and Glenn I think you hit the nail on the head, very well said... might I just add that while I'm a huge fan of Dino's, I must give credit where credit is due...the threaded rod was the idea of a man named Bob Ross, a proud member of the Bowclamp family, who like many, I now consider a friend.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

craig, all this time i thought that the threaded rod/bowclamp combo was yet ANOTHER invention of dino's! if you read the original thread, dino hints " Wait 'till you see my Bowclamp" and then your post with the pictures follow. yet another example of ASSuming too much. BTW, i'm on my way to rockler's after work today to pick up some of those quick release five star knobs for 3/8" thread. i'll post pics after i'm done - hope it doesn't take my half an hour like last time!

Oh Dino's got something up his sleeve, you can bank on that.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig
    Oh Dino's got something up his sleeve, you can bank on that.
    Craig.
    The bow clamps are an invitation for imagination.
    So far, I used ropes with a stick. (few turns of the stick)
    Chains with 2 hooks and a lever. (one touch)
    Shims for edge glue solid lumber.
    similar to your picture here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1140450094

I used the bow clamps on clamping multiple pieces of wood to the table for multiple (gang routing) mortises, tenons , grooving and such.

The uses are unlimited and this simple thing allows me
    to re-think my ways.
    Thank you for that.

Next week I will post few pictures.
    Feel free to stop over the ez forum and start a new thread about..
    the ez bow clamp.

Thanks Craig.

here's my latest modified version of the bowclamp with rockler-bought quick release five star knobs and a couple of assorted nuts and bolts and 3 feet 3/8" threaded rod from home depot. i got the idea from craig's picture and this month's popular woodworking tips. i'm planning on buying another three feet pair of bowclamps so that i'll be able to clamp up 24" cabinet sides.

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3A77%3A%3A3%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A%3A%3A%3E 8%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D3233739744%3C53nu0mrj
    Last edited by frank shic; 05-13-2006 at 8:29 PM.

I LOVE it!

2 of those... boom... case clamp. Any cabinet, no clamps.

Even If I was using pocket screws, I would move the bar-clamp before screwing for each hole.

Man, I love watching you guys run with the ball.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

craig, that's exactly what i first thought when i saw the modified bowclamp in your forum section - manual case clamp! i've looked at the industrial versions but was slightly put off by the prices that averaged over $11,000. do you realize that you've made biscuits a much more viable and speedy solution? i have enjoyed using confirmat screws in the past because they eliminated the need for prolonged clamping afterwards, but now i think that i'll be using biscuits much more frequently. between your product and dino's eurekazone, i'm itching at the next opportunity to build some cabinets. maybe the garage could use some more...

I hope it is okay to revive an old thread. But is there a preferred distance from the edge of the Bowclamp to drill the holes for the threaded rod as shown Frank's photo?

Cheers and Thanks,

Bill