Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer desk is finally finished!!

Talking Computer desk is finally finished!!

I started building a computer desk and library shelves last fall. It has taken me since then to finish this project. I just moved it from the shop and installed it today. I am glad to have it finished and really like the way it turned out.

The design is based on a picture that my daughter found and I modified it to fit in the space available. The units are 85" tall and consist of 9 separate pieces. The units with glass doors in them sit on top of and are fastened to the bases. I used connector bolts to connect the units together.

The flat surfaces are made from oak plywood, the faceframes are solid oak and the backs are made from oak carsiding.

Center.JPG
    This is the center of the unit. The bottom drawer on the left side is a lateral file for hanging files.
    The computer CPU is located behind the bottom doors on the right.

Left2.JPG
    This shows the left side of the project. The two library shelves are both 30" wide.

Right.JPG
    This is the right side. The library shelf is 48" wide.

Left.JPG
    Another view of the left side.

Computer.JPG
    I put the compter in a pullout drawer so that it will be easier to get at the back side of the computer. The wires go into a cable tray which keeps them from being tangled on the floor.

Now that this project is complete, I have all kinds of room in the shop again. I do not have another project to start on so I may spend some time playing with my new lathe.

Thanks for looking,
    Joe

Wow! This is really beautiful...nicely executed..very nice work...

How much did this cost you in parts/wood?

10,000 kudos Joe!

Every aspect of that desk and attendant storage is very well thought out and executed.

The glazed cabinet doors provide archival protection of bound materials (valued by we who keep one foot in the Guttenberg era), the adjustable shelving allows accommodation of newly acquired books and display of artwork, the lateral file drawer blends well into the cabinetry scheme, and the routing of wires and the convenient access to the back and side of the CPU are totally enviable!!!

The warm tones of the woods of the floor, trim in the library, the cabinets, which have wonderfully substantial cast metal pulls, reside so comfortably in that deep red room, that I swear Carl Gustav Jung could move in there tomorrow and feel at home.

Seeing these pics today, I understand the source of the twinkle in your eyes when I met you in LaCrosse.

Wonderful work Joe!

Frank

Joe,

When I clicked on this thread I was envisioning a desk. You have done a fanstastic job on this! I don't dare let the LOML see this or I know what I'll be doing for the few weeks/months.

I really like how it all pulls together, did you trim the windows to match? Or was that already there?

Very, very well done.

Larry

Joe that is simpley a beautiful piece of funiture! Spectacular job Joe.

Corey

Wow that's no computer desk that's for sure. A real nice piece of furniture is more like it. Will your computer do it justice?

Desk? I can barely see the desk for all the other beautiful cabinet work. Very nice work, and I really admire the forethought you put into things like the slide-out computer drawer. I'll bet the entire project will be a joy to use. Great job, Joe.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 05-08-2006 at 2:40 PM.

Beautiful Job!

I especially like the way you put the CPU on a pullout shelf. Brian

Great desk, now get yourself a large monitor which deserves to be on that beauty!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Joe,

Great looking project. I'm in the design phase for a similar desk, although slightly smaller. Your's has many of the design elements that I am drawing up, so your pictures are a big help. Thanks for sharing.

I agree about the monitor - a desk that nice deserves a nice wide screen LCD!

Tim

Thumbs up

Your computer must be bigger than mine Joe! Seriously, that's spectacular!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

WOW! Great job Joe. That is absolutely awesome.

Now I've got another reason to stop and see you next time I'm going through Eau Claire.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Nice peice of work. Very thought out. Looks like you may be in the market for a fw dozen books now.
    Roger

Great work. I agree with the monitor idea. Get as big as you can.

Jim

Excellent work!