Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Children's Swingset

Children's Swingset

I have been asked by the LOML to get the shop to make a basic swingset. Anyone have anything interesting that they have done with that sort of assignment?

I would love to see some pics or examples?

dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

I gotta be honest with you...I thought about building, but opted to buy just last Wednesday, due to time I don't have and the effort to complete things on a timely basis. Of course, that was the much higher cost option...oh, well.

Two things that I did learn in my research:

1) Redwood combined with cedar is a better choice than treated lumber. It costs more up-front, but is safer. Go "stout" on your sizing choices. It's better to overbuild, especially since the kids get older and bigger and heavier. Reinforce joinery at stress-points with metal

2) The "better" brands of play gym sets do sell many of their components, such as the swing hardware separately. The quality is often much better quality than you find in many retail situations. Combining a "you build" structure with this hardware may be a good combination and compromise between cost and quality/safety

I suggest you actually visit some of the premium play gym outfits, such as Superior Play Systems, and look at what they sell. It will give you some really good ideas relative to construction, including dealing with non-level sites, etc. The 'borg does sell kits where you provide the lumber, but I frankly found them to be on the "lightweight" side when it comes to structure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built my own with a Kit

If you have a Menards in your area, I was very impressed with the kits they sell. The instruction we well written. I went the AC2 PT wood because I did not know how long the kids would use it and I figured I could stain it but that has not happened yet .

Click on the following for what mine looks like.

http://webpages.charter.net/samuelbr..._swing_set.htm

The whole kit and lumber was something like $800. They had alot of other kits that were less.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Racette
    I have been asked by the LOML to get the shop to make a basic swingset. Anyone have anything interesting that they have done with that sort of assignment?

I would love to see some pics or examples?

dan
    hi,

there's a link to a plan on my website that i'm thinking about making for my grandaughter. it's a kid's playset with 2 swings, a sandbox and a playhouse. here's a pic:

kids_swingset.jpg

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/outdoor_plans.htm

i haven't priced out the lumber yet, but it doesn't look like it should be all that expensive - i think the set could be made without the playhouse if you wanted.

have a look and see what you think - at least it might help give you a few ideas.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

My one suggestion ... go tall. Build your swingset as tall as you can.

The taller the swingset, the longer the back-and-forth swinging action, the more fun. And the longer your kids will play with it. Your basic metal swingset kit from the store is only about 6' tall, and your kids will outgrow that by age 7. I've got a swingset that is about 8' tall which we inherited with this house, and it isn't too bad. If I were building one myself, I'd really see if I could get it to be 10-12ft tall to give a nice large swing.

Of course, you do need the space!

...art

Ditto the last post. I built my kids swinset portion of their play gym with a crossbar at 10 feet. Makes for a swinging experience comparable to the municipal units!

Kyle in K'zoo

I agree with Are and Kyle...it was something we had to consider seriously given our kids are 6 and 10 now and not getting any younger...
    --

I built one last year from PT spruce. The cross beam is about 8" in the air made of two 2*4s The legs are also doubled 2*4s with single 2*4s crossing the legs on each side for support.
    It's going to get a coating of a 2 part urethane with a white pigment pack and ends that contact the ground are treated with motor oil and mineral spirits. I got some commercial large rubber and steel strap type swing seats online well as an infant's safety bucket seat. I used 600# test Galv' chain from the H.Depot I expect it'll last forever.

I used this geometry to reinforce the thing so it'll syupport lateral loading.
    Hmmm there ought to be a picture here::
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you lived near Kansas City I'd have a killer deal for you on a tube slide, which we recently took off my sons set as he never uses the slide. Not to hijack, but if anyone around KC is interested, I'll shoot you a pic and price.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Agtree on Going Tall

The one I made for my grandkids will have to come down soon since they are teenagers now. But the swings themselves will probably be saved. (The tree house, sandbox, slide, and horizontal ladder will go) When adults gather for a barbeque the swings get a lot of use.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Great ideas!

Thanks much guys.

I am going to show all these to the "boss". I will have to post our pics.

dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

playxxxxx com

check out xxxxxxxx.com. I built one of these a few years ago and it held up well. You can semi-customize it if you watch out for a few safety guidelines.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-09-2006 at 2:19 AM. Reason: removed link to a gambling site

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Coney
    check out xxxxxxxxx.com. I built one of these a few years ago and it held up well. You can semi-customize it if you watch out for a few safety guidelines.
    That's a gambling site.

I think you mean playstarinc.com - I hope.

Wes
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-09-2006 at 2:19 AM.

Check this one out .......

Tony

Here's a link to the company I bought from just for ideas...frankly, you really don't need a "plan" so much as a nice sketch of what you want to end up with. Engineering it should be reasonably easy, with or without the help of your fellow wood-butchers!
    --