Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Children's Swingset

I was going to build one, and I went to a local Rainbow Direct Factory store to purchase the hardware from them. They use some very well designed ones IMHO but the lead person at the store told me they do not sell the parts. They only sell replacements for an existing unit. I did not push the issue. I honestly thought that was poor sales, I am not going to buy a entire unit why not make a few hundred in hardware.

I am with Jim, once I weighted the expense and time of building one we decided that we are getting ours from Samsclub. Have to wait til we move into the new house but for $1k it is really a pretty good deal for what you get. Check it out.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/...1360061_L4.jpg

Greg

Dan, I think I had the same basic kit as Samuel. The Playstar kits are well thought out and offer a lot for the money. I doubt I had more then a can of scrap when I finished the cut list.

The Rainbow systems like Jim pointed out are nice, but cost some serious jack, and sort of depends on how much you want in invest in a playset.

Our kids are 6 and 3 and I'm hoping they'll use them until they are about 13 - we will see. Right now it's awesome! They love it, and while it took a lot longer then the estimated time to build, it's the one project the kids really associate with me doing for them. My Dad helped raise the towers, and the kids still talk about Papa helping. If you have any time at all, I think it's a super project to do for the kids.

As for value, the Sams Club set is about the best value around, you get a "Rainbow" type components, pre-cut cedar/redwood (I believe), and a decent price. We used the "new" PT, and I think I would again, cedar still rots to fast when in contact with the ground, and redwood is fairly expensive in our area.

Whatever you choose make it a fun project, still one of the most used "kids" toys we've bought.

John

P.S. The baby swing is gone, the tire was moved to a tree and thus is now a real tire swing, and my folks bought the kids a 2 person Bronco Rider (swing) for Christmas last year, so now we have 2 swings and the double. If I were to change anything I would add another swing...

Last edited by John Weber; 05-09-2006 at 11:30 PM.

That's an impressive setup, John!!! Very nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow!

I wish you were my dad, John!

that is great for the little ones, better than most parks!
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

John,

Where did you get that monster? Sams Club? Im in the market and didnt see that one listed...
    Jason Morgan

Don't do this....

If you buy one, guard the instructions and receipt/paid invoice like they were nuclear launch codes!

My playset/wood was delivered, but I returned to the store this weekend to get missing hardware and more wood for an optional wood roof. I left my paid invoice, receipt, instructions, and some previously missing hardware (with a no charge invoice!) in my shopping cart and parked it out of the way while I ventured outside into the garden center to get some gravel. When I returned, the cart and items were gone!

I notified store security and spent the next hour patrolling the store and looking very suspiciously into everyone's shopping cart. I guess most assumed I was either a purse snatcher or overly-enthusiastic plain clothes loss prevention. I did get a somewhat guilty look from one guy, but I restrained myself from dumping his kid out of the cart and searching his wife's purse!

Thanks to some very helpful employees, I was able to replace everything except the receipt/invoice. Security notified their warehouse so that the weasel doesn't try to get delivery of a second playset.
    Last edited by Andy Fox; 05-10-2006 at 4:05 PM.