Thread: Remote control for HFDC

Remote control for HFDC

Need some help regarding the Harbor Freight dust collector. The system is wired 110 volt and has 2 HP. I purchased a Long Ranger remote from Grizzly which was advertised as working up to 3HP, but when it arrived the 110 volt remote is listed as only good up to 1 1/2HP. I called Griz and they agreed that this remote will not work for a 2HP DC, so it has been returned. So- what is anyone using for a remote control for this DC? Thanks for your help!

I think HF overrates their DC a bit. The motor is 14A @120V.

The Grizzly 1.5 HP DC, on the other hand, has 18A @120V motor. My 2 HP Grizzly DC (1029) has a 12A @240V motor.

I don't think you will have any problem using the Long Ranger with the HF DC.

Hi John. Welcome to the creek.

All my 120 volt machines that handle a continuous load max out at about 1 1/2 hp; my 2 hp dust collector required a 240 volt circuit because it would draw more than 20 amps at 120. (I am trying to ignore the hot discussion about drills and routers and shop vacs that claim 3, 4, 5 hp on 120 volts, but not a continuous load like a dust collector.)

Therefore I wonder if someone was optimistic and rounded up the hp rating on your dust collector... if it only draws 15 amps, and would do fine on just about any 120 volt control. Or if it is really 2 hp or close to it, and draws so close to 20 amps that it requires a dedicated circuit, and would be better run at 240 volts. Most motors can be rewired to run either 120 or 240, and do slightly better on the high voltage. Then you would be looking for a 240 volt remote control.

I just went to HF's website to look at the DC. I think the HF part number is 45378-7VGA.

The product page says, "Motor: 2 HP, 110V, 14 amps, single phase."

The manual says, "2 HP, 20 AMPS Peak, Single Phase, 60 Hz, 110 Volts." The keyword here is "Peak", very similar to Craftsman's "maximum-developed" HP .

Somewhere else in the manual says, "This tool requires use of an extension cord of 0 to 15 amps capability (up to 50 feet), with wire size rated at 16 AWG." (I don't think one can find any 16 AWG extension cord rated at 15A ).

It is obvious that HF's rating of "2 HP" is just wishful thinking .

The good news is that the 1.5 HP Long Ranger remote control will work fine . (The bad news, if I read you post correctly, is that you have already returned the remote control ).
    Last edited by Hoa Dinh; 05-07-2006 at 1:31 AM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Check out Dennis' remote.
    http://www.beautifulwood.net/dcremote.html
    There are many other versions floating in the creek.
    Should be abe to find even mine if you do a search.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 05-07-2006 at 8:09 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I used a Long Ranger on my HFDC for several months with no problem. The only reason I'm not still using it is because I built a Dennis designed one just for the fun of it. Been using that ever since, but I'm sure the Long Ranger would have survived just fine.

I use a Long Ranger with my HFDC with no problems at all. At 14 amps, it's not really a 2 hp motor. But I do have to run the thing on a 20-amp circuit because the start-up surge always blows a 15-amp.

I also use the Lone Ranger with a 20 amp circuit. Works just fine.

Scott

How can you not lose the remote?? I know I'd lose it.
    That's why I have all my machine tools rigged with the Clapper.

What about switched Blast gates?

X10

I use some "home automation" in my shop. It goes by the name of X-10, and it works pretty well. I have 3 remotes, stationed different places that all control the same things. So far I only have my HFDC on one channel, and an extra 1000 watts of hallogen lights on another channel. The nice thing is they can be turned on and off from any of the three remotes, two remotes are portable, and one is permanantly mounted to my tablesaw.

If you need any more info let me know, but it ends up being a pretty cheap and versatile setup for around the house/shop.

P.S. Good for timing christmas lights too.

Andy

I bought a remote from Ace Hardware here in Chicago for my DC. Retail under $20 and it works fine. That HFDC moter is overated @ 2 HP and I think your remote would have worked...Sorry
    Jerry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    How can you not lose the remote?? I know I'd lose it.
    That's why I have all my machine tools rigged with the Clapper.

What about switched Blast gates?
    I put it on a long red and yellow board that hangs bye the saw.
    Wont fit in my pocket and can be seen through all the mess , I mean good stuff.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Howard
    I use some "home automation" in my shop. It goes by the name of X-10, and it works pretty well. I have 3 remotes, stationed different places that all control the same things. So far I only have my HFDC on one channel, and an extra 1000 watts of hallogen lights on another channel. The nice thing is they can be turned on and off from any of the three remotes, two remotes are portable, and one is permanantly mounted to my tablesaw....
    I also use the X10 remote for my 240 volt dust collector. I bought about $200 worth of stuff from them, and less than half works, so I am less optimistic than Andy, but the part that works does work pretty well. They have a "keychain" remote, the size of car remotes, that I hang from my belt. The beaded chain broke the first time it caught on something, but I put on rubber bands as the "chain," which works safer/better.

Beware of X10... be sure to never give them an email address. After my first contact, I got so swamped with junk email from them that I had to block their mail, and got over 500 emails before they gave up. When I ordered a replacement part, they tried to talk me into giving them an email address, but despite the protests of the guy on the phone, their system worked without it.

I use a cheapy from radio shack and it has worked well on my HFDC for quite some time so I would think the long ranger would work fine,
    Pat

I also use an el cheapo that I got at the farm supply store. IIRC I paid around $8 for it. So far, it works great.