Thread: Kudos to Google SU Support Team

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Kudos to Google SU Support Team

HOORAY ! ! ! !

Thanks to all of the Google SU Support folks (Jim Holman in particular) who have been working on the problem I had with SU http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35914. I received the following mail from Jim this morning and also talked with him on the phone.

Thanks to you & others who sent the Bugsplats in we know what is causing this now. I am making a stretch that the case we know is your case. The case we know of involves some older Earthlink software. I noticed a Mindspring email address for you so it is a good bet this is your issue. I haven't had confirmation yet, though. There are 2 ways you can fix this issue:

1. Update your Earthlink software. It is fixed in the latest version.

2. If you are comfortable doing a registry edit, the below edit should fix the problem. The reason the Papa login works is because the Earthlink registry key that is causing the problem is not in that login, only in the Ken login. If you are not comfortable doing a registry edit, you could either find someone who is or call in here & I will walk you through it. This is from one of our developers:

The problem can be solved by upgrading to the latest version of the EarthLink software, at http://www.earthlink.net/software/ . There is an alternative workaround, which isn't recommended unless it's impossible to update the EarthLink software for some reason:
    - Start->Run, type "regedit" and press OK.
    - Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks
    - In the right-hand pane there is a key named "{44F9B173-041C-4825-A9B9-D914BD9DCBB3}". Right-click, choose Rename, and add a "~" character at the start of the key name, so it reads "~{44F9B173-041C-4825-A9B9-D914BD9DCBB3}".
    - Close RegEdit.

Best regards
    Jim Holman
    SketchUp support
    Google Inc.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************

I am now back to operating my box with one user as it was prior to the "bug". I was getting ready to buy a straight jacket and check into the local "funny farm" .

Now all I have to do is learn how to use SU - which I am positive will be easier than finding the bug and fixing my system.

i have encouraged Jim Holman to join SMC.

Again - Kudos to Google Support ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-08-2006 at 6:20 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Good news, good news. Glad to hear it Ken. Start drawing now and post some images so we can see what yer up to.