Thread: ecabinetsystems

ecabinetsystems

Is anyone here familiar with the e-cabinetsystems software?

Steven,

I've had the software for over a year. Never really designed anything with it. I guess if I devoted the time I could probably use it. If nothing else, the price is right

I've got it. Haven't used it in a year or so due to lack of time learning all of it. Got a email from them yesterday, they are working on a beta 5 version, soon to be released and sent out.

I've designed a couple of cabinets. You can design kitchens with it very quickly but wall units seem to be a chore.

I have been messing around with it on and off for a while, trying to learn it. It is seems fairly powerful, but somewhat inflexible. I also find the interface and flow of the software very non-intuitive. I have never used any other cabinet software to compare it to, but have used numerous other CAD packages.

I have been using it and it's not the easiest software in the world to use. Lots of diffent "modes" you have to use in order to build something. It seems to assume that you are going to be building items out of sheet goods, and everything starts with the pre-defined cabinets that they already have in there and then you begin to modify it to suit your needs... It is really geared to production shops ideally using a Thermwood CNC machine. It will generate a cut list for you however and you see exactly what the part that you are cutting will be used in. It has been frustrating to use, but it is really powerful. The biggest WOW factor comes when you roll the wheel on your mouse and watch as the cabinet that you built "explodes out" this shows you an exploded view of cabinet that you are building. So far in comparing it to SketchUp I think that SketchUp (SU) is easier to use, but it will not generate a cut list for you, and so far in SU you seem to need to build a 3/4" by something rectangle and extrude up to the "height" that you want to use. Now you have a panel. I have not figured out how to create a dado in the side of the cabinet in SU. ECS does show where the dados will be made on the cutlist. Very nice.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I'm starting to get the hang of it. The program definately has a lot of features,but thier prices for parts seem a little high.