Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Gloat! (subtitle: This time, I hope that the “Audi Gods” forgive me)

Cedar Gloat! (subtitle: This time, I hope that the “Audi Gods” forgive me)

In the thread about the construction of my workshop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7769), there is a photo showing me bringing home a very long section of eavestrough on the roof rack of my Audi (see post #87 on page 6). Later on, the “Audi Gods” exacted their revenge by causing my key to break (see post #125 on page 9).

Well yesterday I had a (legal) deal that I could not refuse on 256 linear feet of good quality dressed 2x6 western red cedar (from British Columbia). The stipulation was that I had to take the wood with me right away. This time, I was about 40 kilometres (about 25 miles) from home. I loaded the wood on my roof rack

A load of cedar on our car -2 -small.JPG

and drove home very slowly using city streets that I knew would be relatively empty in the early afternoon. It took me about an hour and a half.

Here is the wood stacked on the back wall of my shop:

Cedar stored on the back wall of the shop -2 -small.JPG

With the price of gas these days, that batch must have cost you a fortune!

Nice haul. If it were me, I already have a deck swing plan all ready to go..........

Nice Gloat!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Nice score, Frank, and I like the wood storage on the side of the building. I may have to see if I have any comparable places. (I already have an unused mountain bike hanging from the eaves...I'd think I could find room for wood, too.)

Any idea what that lumber will become?

- Vaughn

Hi Frank,

congrats on the wood.
    Is it already seasoned/dry?

Regards,

Christian

PS: If the Audi Gods don't forgive you just go ahead and buy a different car.
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Hi Frank,

congrats on the wood.
    Is it already seasoned/dry?

Regards,

Christian
    Hi Christian, thanks for the congratulations. From the stamps on the wood, it appears to have been milled in British Columbia a little over two years ago. The wood is light compared to some 16 foot 2x6 cedar I have lifted in the past so it apopears to be reasonably tried. I think that it has mostly been stored outside under cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    PS: If the Audi Gods don't forgive you just go ahead and buy a different car.
    Next year our Audi will be 10 years old, and we are thinking of replacing it at that time with a Suburu Forrester. So, the Audi Gods have been warned and maybe that will keep them docile.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 05-10-2006 at 6:06 PM.

Nice "haul" is apt!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ya did good...Nice acquire..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Nice score, Frank, and I like the wood storage on the side of the building. I may have to see if I have any comparable places. (I already have an unused mountain bike hanging from the eaves...I'd think I could find room for wood, too.)

Any idea what that lumber will become?

- Vaughn
    Thanks Vaughn.

The back of the shed provides me with over 40 running feet of semi-protected storage. I have only just started to take advantage of it.

I will strat with building a couple of sandboxes like the ones Joe Scarfo built and showed us in post #9 in the thread http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13700. The rest will be used to extend my deck (someday).

10. Ah, Frank...

And to think I got a couple good boards of CVG Cedar only totaling about 80 bd/ft...

And the yellow area as a close-up:

One 9 footer, one 11 foot. Both about 2 1/4" thick by 20" wide. Lot's of rings, though...

Take care, Mike

good score, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Ah, Frank...

And to think I got a couple good boards of CVG Cedar only totaling about 80 bd/ft...

One 9 footer, one 11 foot. Both about 2 1/4" thick by 20" wide. Lot's of rings, though...

Take care, Mike

good score, btw!
    Mike, your cedar is definately of better quality than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Nice "haul" is apt!
    Well put Jim. I wish that I had thought of those words.

13. Hi Frank--it is nice wood. Doesn't help on some of my outdoor furniture projects I have for the summer season, though!

I went looking for 2 x 6 Cedar recently--enough of a cost to cause me to pause in my tracks. I wanted nice, just not sure *that* nice.

I do like finding wood deals, though. The fun of getting it home is worth it.

Take care, Mike

Blog Entries
    The kids will love the sandbox. I built one for my kids (now in thier 20's) and they played in it from toddler through Jr. High. A good investment (and pretty cheap too).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, I am sure that the sandboxes will be a big hit with my grandchildren. Do you have plans for yours? Joe didn't when I asked him a couple of years ago.