Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for precision router table like milling machine

Looking for precision router table like milling machine

Does anyone know of a precision router table that is like a milling machine for X Y and Z axis? controlled manually with handwheels and machined tables running on threaded rod.
    I am trying to find one that will completely remove my hand error from the equation.
    Thanks

bill, i think the legacy mill is as close as you`ll get short of a cnc....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

If you don't mind going the CNC route, may I suggest you take a look at the Shopbot benchtop unit.

Special pricing on it till the end of the month too.

Fence travel monitored with indicator, cutter travel driven x & monitored x BenchDog lift.

Routers

5. Grizzly did make one , like a Bridgeport , but had the proper speeds for wood working. Chris

Ad-vise

I have seen lots of home made ones, but you could really cobble something to gether with a router held well in a cross slide vise and the work also held in a second vise. Set it up X Y Z or however you see the need to move the work or tool.

but commercially speaking, Tod is on the money.
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

7. Perhaps a Multi-Router is in your future:
    http://www.djmarks.com/multirouter.asp

Take care, Mike

I think you're describing the woodrat.

9. The WoodRat is good--I own one and use it frequently.

If I was still going for production, I would own a Multi-Router with the air clamping system. It's a great machine for production work. It also doesn't have the length-of-work issues the 'Rat does because it is a horizontal machine.

Take care, Mike

Bill, here’s my home made version of what you’re looking for. I don’t use it very often because the chips & dust are always flying in your face, and it is REALLY loud! I made the mount out of 1” aluminum plate so it’s pretty stout. These pics are about 8 years old, before I had a decent router table – probably the last time that I used it…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

pattern shops used " pattern mills" and they are still available
    lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grizzly sells something they call a Wood Mill. It looks like a standard 3-axis metal shop mill, with some tweaks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9959
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-11-2006 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Bill, here’s my home made version of what you’re looking for.
    Bruce,
    I remember when you posted vague pics of that vertical mill borne router in your shop tour, and I have been both intrigued by it and desirous of details since.

Would you please, kind sir, share the mounting of this router on the head of a mill with us?

The power feed on the x axis and the knee y axis movements certainly preclude some functions that router tables afford.

Seems to me that enclosing the openings in the aluminum plate box with lexan and connecting your dust collector would solve the noise and thrown chip problems.

Your head mounted router may be an economical solution here, but what do you, as an engineer, think of the idea of driving a cutter speed geared up from the quill output drive?

Interested,
    Frank

Router like Milling Machine

The WoodRat uses a router and offers great material-holding power as well as control in the x-y-z axis. Best machine made for dovetails, etc. Go to the website -- chipsfly.com. Order the $6 DVD demo of the machine. It is similar to the Multi-Router, but the router sits vertically, and the WoodRat provides excellent dust collection for less than half the cost.

The Woodrat.com website in England has a short video on their home page.

Gary Curtis
    Trinity County, CA

Legacy Ornamental Mill will let you create many things. I have one, but do not use it enough to have justified the pruchase Just like any mill, the cost of the cutters begins to hurt
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood