Thread: Stacking glass to make 3D effect

Stacking glass to make 3D effect

I know glass can be etched. I'm wondering if anyone has etched a few plates, then stacked them to create a 3D effect.

ie: Small bushes in the forground, rolling hills and trees in the middle, mountain and sky in the background...

Just wondering.

Jeeez I've got to get me a laser machine --- soon. I'm already having fun and I haven't touched one yet.

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Not Yet!

Not yet Mitch, But since you posed the idea.... Hehehee I'm sure that I will this afternoon!! I'm not above swiping an idea now and then!

I am thinking that some thick acrylic underlit with different colored lights for each layer, might be pretty interesting too!!
    Michael
    Michael

Nighthawk Arts

3. Photo

Hey Mike,
    If you make one, it sounds cool. Post a photo of it so we can all see it.
    I might try one too.
    Barb

Smile Stacking glass to make 3D effect

Something like it. I had a customer that wanted unique nameplates for office desks. What I did was to engrave the logo on the back of a piece of clear 1/4" acrylic, cut into mountain shape. Then a piece of clear acrylic with the person's name on the back side cut exactly the same but a lower mountain top. That was placed in front of the first piece. For the base I cut a rectangle of the frosted with a rectangle centered just the size of the bottoms of the two pieces to hold it up. Should have taken a picture. It was a nice effect but I would think that 3-4 pieces of clear with a more artistic graphic would be really unusual and cool.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

With a laser engraver you should be able to adjust the depth of the etch to get a decent 3D effect without having to stack multiple pieces, unless you're trying to light them different colors. Here's something that I made 3D, no etching though:

http://xclusivecustoms.net/XC_2006bg01.jpg