Thread: Laser to make wood bend?

Laser to make wood bend?

The art institute furniture design student came in with another odd request. She brought me a piece of 1/8" wood 8"x24" with a veneer glued onto it, and wants me to score the back every .175" so it will bend. I'm running it now with rastor set at speed 20 power 100 on my 45 watt, and it looks like a 20 minute job. I suppose I could try vector and experiment to go just deep enough. Anyone else tried this before, and have settings for it? I'm not sure if this is going deep enough until it finishes and I try to bend it.

(edit) OK, that didn't work. Not nearly deep enough. Trying vector at 50 speed 30 power now.

(edit) That did it nicely.
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 05-11-2006 at 5:40 PM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yeah,

Glad we could help Joe!!! Hehehe
    Michael

Nighthawk Arts

Question Laser to make wood bend?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wells
    Glad we could help Joe!!! Hehehe
    Yeh, I forgot to say Thanks a lot. Actually someone might help. The
    wood was somewhat warped. She says that it was fine when she glued on the veneer, but then it warped when it dried. It was basswood. I told her next time to either veneer the back too or else just use the same glue and put paper or something on the back. That's a guess based on my experience with painting wood signs. Am I all wet or was that good advice?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Yeh, I forgot to say Thanks a lot. Actually someone might help. The
    wood was somewhat warped. She says that it was fine when she glued on the veneer, but then it warped when it dried. It was basswood. I told her next time to either veneer the back too or else just use the same glue and put paper or something on the back. That's a guess based on my experience with painting wood signs. Am I all wet or was that good advice?
    Good as it needs to be, I'd guess. You lucked out on that substrate: most woods wouldn't vector consistently enough in depth for that to work.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.