Thread: Sanding Curly Maple

Sanding Curly Maple

How do I sand this round inside surface smooth? The curly doesn't want to get smooth.
    image.jpg

Oscillating Spindle sander, one of those sanding drums on a drill, elbow grease.

Muscle power. Make a sanding block with a radius somewhat smaller than the radius of your hole. You don't have to get the block's radius perfect. A 2x4, bevel the edges with the tablesaw, and a handplane from there. Takes about ten minutes. Sanding will take another few minutes.

Blog Entries
    Take the two pieces you cut out and glue them together. Then either wrap pieces of sandpaper around them or glue the sandpaper to them to make a contoured sanding block. Sand with progressively finer grit paper. It shouldn't take too long to sand the areas smooth by hand. Unless you are planning on staining or dyeing the maple, apply a light coat of your final finish to the areas and then sand. This will lock the grain ends in place so the sandpaper can smooth them.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-16-2014 at 7:45 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Take the two piece you cut out and glue them together. Then either wrap pieces of sandpaper around them or glue the sandpaper to them to make a contoured sanding block..

Ding-Ding-Ding !!!

We have a winner.

The contest is over.

thanks for playing.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries

Sanding Curly Maple - don't

If the cut is already made, I would use a card scraper. Fine woodworking has a video on how to set up the card scraper that makes lots of shavings.

I used a card scrapers on the chair in the photo. The back slats have both bow and opposite hand wind (twist). The crest rail was scraped as well.

DSCN4633R.jpg

7. What did you use to make those cut outs ? The one furthest from the camera seems like it has big chunks out of it.

I used a forstner bit to cut the hole so there's no mating piece. I taped sandpaper to a socket and sanded for ten minutes with poor results. I had 16 to sand out. Went to HD and picked up a Rigid oscillating drum sander. That worked very well.