Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rank and Utter Newbie ISO First Lathe

I'll add my 02 cents for the Rikon. I love mine.
    Ken is dead on right. The lathe is the cheapest part of the equation. Once you're slipping into the "VORTEX" you're wallet will stay empty
    As you do projects, you'll need a chuck, bowl gouges, scrapers, a chainsaw, the list goes on and on.
    But you'll have a great time. and associate with a great group of people.
    I'd recomend getting our member "Bill Grumbine's" video. It's about the best i've seen.
    Good luck
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

I know two people who had motor problems with their wiltons but have never used one myself. I am sure Vaughn can verify the info but if I remember right the wilton only has an mt1 and 16x 3/4 threads. This in my opinion is something best steered away from as a beginer because accessories you buy for this lathe usually won't work on larger lathes if you upgrade. for example chucks will need new inserts, the tapered accesories won't work without hard to use inserts and the faceplates aren't going to fit at all.

Of the lathes mentioned mentioned I currently use both a PSI Turncrafter Pro, an HF 34706 which i have modified over the years. Either one is a fine lathe and should provide you with years of use if you take care of them and don't abuse them. The 34706 has some QC issues sometimes but if you buy the warranty to go with it you just show up at the store with your lathe and they will replace it no questions asked. If this is the way you go wait until they have it onsale for $199 and have the regularly available 20% off coupon online both of which should be coming up very shortly within a week or two.

The coupon can be printed from here It changes once a week

The one known issue both lathes have is headstock alignment, so buy an mt2 alignment tool online. the 34706 and all lathes that have rotating headstocks have a problem getting it to align perfectly. The PSI lathes tend to have a slight height misalignment in the headstock, but that is nothing a small papershim won't fix.

As for tools Hf has a set of HSS tools (print the cheaper price from harborfreight.com and they will honor it) is a good beginer set but doesn't have all the tools I think you should have in the begining. I would buy that set and order the 6pc set from PSI and a propper bowl gouge. And then also buy a propper bowl gouge (not one from PSI until they get things straightened out) as soon as money permits. I would say either go cheap and get something like a p&n, artisan, or pinnacle M2 HSS or go expensive and get a asp 2060 tool from either hamlett or packard, a crown pro pm, bob sweazey or jerry glaser tool. Their is little reason in my oppinion to spend to buy a mid or high priced m2 bowl gouge when they are not better than the cheaper ones and only a little less expensive than really great ones.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Welcome to the creek....

Might consider a used one from a fellow creeker depending on how far away you live might be a great option?
    I've bought from him and was happy with how he had taken care of the tool I bought.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36286

4. Welome to the Creek and the vortex!

A year ago I started with the HF34706 and am quite satisfied with it as a starter lathe. If you choose this one sign up for HF's newsletter and get a 20% off coupon on an item. Waitin til it was on sale and using the coupon got the cost down to around $160 on the 34706. I also got the boxed set of tools with the longer handles.

Have no experience with the other lathes so can't comment.

Good luck with whichever lathe you choose!

Jim

I agree with Mr Stoppleworth. The HF is a good lathe to start with,if you can get it on sale at the $170 range. It is bigger than the other lathe so you would have a little more flexability with what you turn. I garentee you if you buy either one you will be wanting a better one before long. It's just the nature of the game! I have the HF, wish I could get a better one, but it will suffice.

6. I'm in a similar spot as you, I got given my first lathe, the old C-man that I have, for the price of shipping, and now I'm in the market for a new lathe, but I'm going the other end, I'm spending the money to make this my last lathe (Unless I turn pro, if I do that, all bets are off ).

One thing about the different MT sizes is that the MT#2 is the common one, but, for less than $10 you can buy an adapter sleeve, this will let you use any MT#1 tools in the MT#2 lathe.

I just bought a bunch of stuff to do pen turning on the C-man lathe, and now it looks like a DVR is coming to my house, so I'll be doing just this to use the pen turning stuff.

I do think that you will be better served by the larger lathe, as you can do small stuff on a big lathe, but you cannot do big stuff on a small lathe.

If you get the cheaper lathe with the 3/4" 16tpi thread spindle, get the Grizzly $43.50 chuck, I have it and it works fine, not great, but fine.

You DO NOT need any kind of special slow speed grinder, a normal cheap 6" one will do, just buy a good stone for it.

You DO NOT need any fancy expensive sharpening system, you can make one out of wood fairly easily, lots have done it, and the results are just as good as the EXPENSIVE metal ones.

You DO NOT need to spend a bunch of cash on expensive tools, a few basic tools will do you for now, I got along for too long on some really cheapy tools, but it does pay to get a good bowl gouge, if you are going to do bowls, I got the P&N 1/2" and love it, you can buy it unhanded, and make you own handle, out of pipe or turn it on your lathe.

You are lucky, you have a ton of choices over there, I'm sure that you will be please with any that you make.

Cheers!!

PS WELCOME!!

Welcome to the Zoo Henry!!!!
    I am the proud owner of the HF 34706-5VGA http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706 (just be sure we are talking about the same one) It has worked well for me. I have turned a bunch of LARGE project as well as small stuff. In my humble opinion it is the way to if you can stand to wait that long. You may only want to do small thing right now but you WILL want to grab a big hunk of wood, put it on and go at it. It does only go down to 600 rpm… that can be scary, and I would look at getting smaller tool rest for it for your small work, and I built a stand for mind so I could give it more weight to hold it down. All in all I think it will take a good way down into the bottomless pit of turning you are headed down. Now don’t worry the water is worm, and shavings are always flying down here.<O</O
    Tow more things. For cheep bowl gouges go to Pen state industries. They may not be the top of the line but they will work just fine<O</O
    For a good 4 jaw chuck go to grizzly tools. I am started, and am still work on shall we say “NO” budget. If I can’t pay for tools, and wood from what I sell then it doesn’t happen so I still look for cheep, or make stuff so I understand where you are.<O</O
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

Ricon, Jet mini and Delta midi are all great starter lathes and will provide yrs of service. They are also #2 morse taper and have a 1"X8 TPI. Those dimensions open many more doors for you for about the same $$. These are solid, well built tools used by pro turners and many schools. There are bigger and better but for $200.00-$300.00 you would be hard pressed to do better in my opinion. I hope this helps,
    Jim

Welcome to SMC Henry!!!!!! Oh....and Welcome to the "Vortex".!!!!!

Everyone here is putting you on the right track. But I will echo what several others have already stated......the lathe and turning tools are only a start and the lathe is going to be your cheapest investment in the turning hobby. It's a blast and I really love it.....but man....there's so many things you can do with this one tool......so get the best you can to start with so your experience will be one that both pleasing and relaxing.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Henry,

Welcome to the vortex and I wouold like to add to what Dennis said. Considering that the lathe is likely the least expensive part of this proposition (and as others have said, it is), I would suggest that you consider an alternate route to "vortex heaven." First, don't buy a lathe. Instead, find a club, neighbor, friend, someone that already has a lathe (classes at Woodcraft are also a consideration) and try out the hobby first to see if you will be able to live with this affliction. Second, get some experience with multiple machines before you buy. After having turned on everything from my own PM3520a to a friend's Oneway 2436 and another friend's Stubby 750 I can tell you that quality, weight, and noise are important factors in your lathe choices. I will freely admit that the machines I have mentioned are different from the HF in question but, if turning is really for you, you would be better served by aiming at a higher quality machine.

I like most, chose my first lathe (a Ridgid WL1242) based upon price first and everything else second. Like the HF, it lowest speed was close to 500 rpm which, can be a problem with bowls (and EVERYBODY wants to turn bowls). It was also light, noisey, MT1, 3/4x16 headstock, fiddley, etc... It did little to inspire my turning and in turn it got little use. Then I got a mini lathe and my interests took off and my skills began to develop (despite what everybody else says). So, I would suggest that you consider a very good mini as a first purchase. Second, if you really want to do this go for broke on the lathe itself. But, if you have joined a club and gotten some experience by then, you will already know what's in store for your future...

Guys---

Thanks again for the information. I have been aware that the lathe is the "cheap" part of the equation---that by and of itself, it won't do more than rotate wood.

As far as trying different machines: I'd probably have to go down to Louisville to really do that---that's where Woodcraft is. In any event, I've just about decided to hold off and get the HF---I'm seeing more and more of these beautifully turned bowls, platters, and hollow forms, not to mention homebuilt chucks and hollowing rigs, that lead me to believe that a pen lathe just won't do the job for me.

Thanks for the support, folks! I'm still open to suggestions if anyone wants to add on, however I do believe the choice is made.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III