Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Chittam turnings

More Chittam turnings

Here are a few more Chittam items. The picture of the lidded bowl by the hat was the final finish, the others were in the first stages. The little cylinder (vase?) has a lot of character in it, but then most of this wood is a real treat to look at, raw or finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Jack, where does this chittam wood come from. I don't think I've ever heard of it.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Hi Christopher, this wood is mentioned in the Bible and goes by a few other names as well. There are several varieties of it and one of the more common names is the "American Smoke Tree". Do a Google search on it and you can learn more. I know that it grows in TX. If you can get your self some you will love how it works and looks, happy turning!

Hey Jack, I have a small piece of (what is supposed to be) chittam wood on my desk. The fellow that gave it to me told me that is grows near you, over on Montasano Mtn. Never have tried to find out it was true. I just have kept it on my desk for years now.

Hi Jeff! Well belive it or not the Chittam I have did come from MonteSano Mtn! The legend is that it only grows here on tjhis mountain and in the Holy Land, but it actually grows across the US, nice tale though!

Very nice work. Love the look of the wood. Great grain.

Wow, that sure is pretty stuff. Nice work Jack!! You been a busy boy!

Corey

Thanks Corey, you know how it goes, you just have these turning binges! Help me before I turn again!!!!

Jack---

It could be worse. You could be a wood addict. I've heard of folks who have it so bad that even though they have a stack of roughouts that will last them a year and more, and a pile of raw wood for at least that period of time, will still collect more. I even think someone at AAW is starting a support group...

Lovely box, Jack. It reminds me of a jellybean jar in its shape. The wood is set off beautifully by the form.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Your binge has been quite the treat for the rest of us Jack. Nice work!!!! I like the story of the wood too.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jack, that wood and your work is beautiful. What size are the pieces you made? Do you have any pictures of the tree? Thanks for telling us about the tree.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Hi Glenn, here's a good picture of it. As you can see the trunk and roots of this tree are very gnarly! Lots of twisty grain. I have used it to turn bowls up to 6" in diameter and have resawn it unto flat wood to make jewelry boxes and the like, it's a great wood. Happy turning!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jack, I haven't seen any of that, but I will be on the look out for it.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Great looking box Jack! Love the color!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry C. Gernhardt, III

It could be worse. You could be a wood addict. I've heard of folks who have it so bad that even though they have a stack of roughouts that will last them a year and more, and a pile of raw wood for at least that period of time, will still collect more. I even think someone at AAW is starting a support group..
    That's funny, the president of our turning club has 2 huge storage
    buildings full from floor to the ceilings with dried rough-outs. He said
    that if he quit rough turning today he doubted that he could finish turn
    everything he has before he dies .

chittum

Out here in Oregon, we have a wood that is also called 'chittum' (or with a em, im, am). It is also known as cascara. The many kids here used to strip the bark and sell it. It was used as a laxitive. Nice wood, orangish in color, and smells something like pumpkins. The name chittum came from, well, use your imagionation...
    robo hippy