Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggest a simple accurate dovetail jig

suggest a simple accurate dovetail jig

Leigh?
    Akeda?
    Porter cable?
    What do you think

Keller.

It is dead nuts simple. In my view that's a good thing. I just want to hook boards together. I don't want to read a hundred-page instruction manual.

I like my Porter Cable 24" Omni Jig , Its pretty simple.
    You do have to read the instructions to get started,after that your good to go.
    All I use my jig for is drawers (1/2" blind DTs) never used the other templates.
    Seth..
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

I will second the Porter Cable Omini jig.

I recently got a P-C 4212 and would highly recommend it (unless you have $400+ to spend on a jig).

I too would recommend the PC4212. Great bang for the buck!
    Jason Morgan

You might consider a test drive or two in one of the woodworking stores.

My Rockler jig is fussy and, without the downloaded from a non-Rockler web-site instructions, frustrating to use. Incidentially, the Rockler instructor put me onto the downloaded instructions.

I wish I had done the test drive first! I would have probably bought a different brand.

Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Bill,
    I have the Leigh D-4. I woudn't call it simple though it does have a GREAT manual. But I've alway gotten excellent results.After using a few times it get much easier to set up. The plus is you can do variable spacing and does through & blind dovetails.
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 05-13-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton
    downloaded from a non-Rockler web-site instructions, frustrating to use. Incidentially, the Rockler instructor put me onto the downloaded instructions.
    Tom,
    How about a link to those directions?

bill, i think the simplest is the keller and the tank for production is the omnijig. the rest are targeted at folks who woodwork for sport...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Keller, hands down. Less than an hour after you open the box you'll have your first joint done. You're not limited to the size of the jig so they can be any length you want. ~$ 150 including the 2 bits.

Brian

BTW, i got mine from Highland Hardware.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

stots dovetail template master if you don't have time for saw and chisel.

Leigh was and is my choice for the best all-around router dovetail system. Although it's extreme flexibility at first might make you think it hard to use, the excellent instructions and logical methodology makes it relatively easy to get great results even the first time out. (I know of one fellow who actually did beautiful inlayed dovetails for his first time...not that I would have tried that!) The 24" capacity is great for casework.

Akeda is a very nice system and reportedly easy to use. My one beef with it is the expectation that everything should be in 1/8" increments which is not necessarily good if you are trying to maintain exact proportions in some kinds of work. It will not affect many woodworkers, but would drive me nuts. The 16" capacity is also more limiting for casework for those who want to do through dovetails.

The Keller that Brian talks about is great, especially for casework. It's only for through-dovetails, however, which may or may not work for drawers, depending on whether you want either visible joinery or will be using false fronts.

Of course, it also comes down to "what kind of dovetails do you want to do?" If you are only going to do drawers and the like, a simple, fixed half-blind system, such as the smaller PC, is a good value and proven system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

14. Keller.

less than half an hour, and I made this....

Yep, those are the first ever dovetails I've made.

Works like a charm, simple enough for this Stu-pid guy to use, and Dave Keller is really good to deal with, he shipped to Japan without blinking (Lots of companies will not ship outside of the US, they treat Japan like it was a foreign country or something! ).

Love mine, I need to find ways to work it into more projects!

Cheers!

Jig

To all,
    Thanks for the information , I like through dovetail as I will be making 10-20 humidors. does the leigh once set work well?