Thread: Grizz G0555 guide block conversion

Grizz G0555 guide block conversion

Don't know where I found the information, but Grizzly has guide block holders which allow using guide blocks on a G0555. If this was posted here, sorry to repost, but I figure somebody else might want to do the switch.

Part is P109005A, Guide Block Holder. You need to order, or have on hand, a set of screws, M6-1 x 10, as the holder comes without screws, Part number PSS01M. This setup was for another Grizz bandsaw, no longer offered, so who knows how long these will be available.

With a small amount of file work the set up accepted ceramic guides and thrust "bearings", and, in my case, will save replacing the bearings when I resaw wet cedar for my wishing well and out house projects.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Berninghausen; 05-13-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks so much for this info. It's very timely for me as I am considering getting Cool Blocks for my G0555. Do you have any further details (hint: any pix?) on your conversion? Great looking wishing well and outhouse! By the way, where are you in Oregon? I am in Shady Cove, twenty miles north of Medford.
    Last edited by Art Davis; 05-13-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks for the kind words Oliver, the outhouse in particular was great fun, it was a birthday present for my older brother, who, like all my siblings, is full of BS and always needs an outlet.

The conversion couldn't be easier: after removing the blade and the table, just back out the allen screws that adjust the guides and swap out the holders. You'll see how easy it is when you get the new holders from Grizzly, my cost was $10.50 for the holders and screws, plus shipping. For a Cool Block setup, all you need is the blocks, Grizzly only had the steel ones so you'll need to get them elsewhere. Put all the parts back together and adjust everything and you are good to go. The castings aren't, well, wonderful, but with a little cleanup it all works. When I installed the ceramic thrust bearings and blocks I found that the bottom thrust bearing didn't clear the block holder, so I used a couple files to remove enough metal to clear the bearing. I use 3/4 inch blades and all works fine.

I'm located in Wilsonville, "highest priced water and sewer in Oregon" (they seem proud of that), and last passed through Shady Cove to fish the North Fork of the Rogue River back in '66 or so, from my birthplace of Ashland, if my memory can be trusted.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Berninghausen; 05-13-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Guide Blocks

I'm selling Lignum Vitae guide blocks for $5 per set of 4, shipping included. These are 1 1/2" long, twice as long as cool blocks and cheaper to boot. Send me a PM for any more information.

Tom,

Just a followup question: which guide blocks did you use? You referred to ceramic thrust bearings in your description of the setup. I think Coolblocks are only that: guide blocks. So I guess you have to use the original thrust bearing. I think the Carter guide has a thrust bearing that you run "edge-on" if I'm not mistaken, but I don't think it is made out of ceramic. Any thoughts?

BTW, I live right on the east bank of the upper Rogue. It runs about twenty feed from my back porch. I've seen them pull some pretty big fish out of the water here.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11206

Has the whole ceramic lashup. I wanted to "do it once" and be done with it. As usual that was after getting a spare set of the standard bearings at my local bearing supply house.

In the year I lived on the bank of Ten Mile Creek, drains Ten Mile Lake just north of North Bend, I saw a bunch of big (15-20 pounders) steelhead hauled out just beyond my line. Thankfully they never intruded on my fishing relaxation, not in a year of changing lures, baits, mouth positions, curses, prayers and medications.

G0555 Guide Blocks

The ceramic guide blocks and bearing is way overkill for the hobbyist. Sure it's cool to say you have them, but unnecessary for light work. Remember people have been using standard guide blocks and bearings for years with minimal ill effects. Keep your money and stay away from the ceramic bearings. I'll still offer my Lignum Vitae guide blocks which are 1 1/2" long and will no doubt outlast you. $5 per set of four delivered.

Tom,

Thanks for the link. Do I get the 15 inch Griz or the 14 inch nonGriz kit from Hartville?

Art

Oliver\Art (?): the invoice says I ordered one 49213 and one 22944. As I mentioned in one of the earlier posts, the lower guide block holder needs to be filed to clear the thrust "bearing".

Mike: my motivation for using blocks was to avoid having to replace the bearings after resawing wet wood (the wishing well and outhouse project soaked all the bearings and I had to replace the set), and as the cost for the ceramic set was about the same as the bearing replacement---with a life time guarentee---that seemed like a no brainer choice. I'm set to use bearings or blocks or any combination that might work for a specific project.

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Just a word of explanation. This is the second ww forum I have been active on. The first required a "screen name." Thought this one would work the same, so selected my victorian hero, a gentleman named Oliver Heaviside. He did a lot of the fundamental work on electromagnetism, electricity, etc. Quite an interesting character. When someone asked him to prove what he was doing, he replied, "Do I refuse my dinner just because I don't understand the process of digestion?" That will give you some idea of what type of character he was. My real name is Art Davis, but I don't want to have to go through the registration process again, so will just hang with Oliver. As another character, my dad, once said, "I don't care what you call me as long as you call me in time for dinner."
    Art/Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Heaviside
    ...My real name is Art Davis, but I don't want to have to go through the registration process again, so will just hang with Oliver. ...Art/Oliver
    Send a PM to Jackie Outten and she will fix it for you, then you will be in compliance with the rules.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Swindell View Post
    The ceramic guide blocks and bearing is way overkill for the hobbyist. Sure it's cool to say you have them, but unnecessary for light work. Remember people have been using standard guide blocks and bearings for years with minimal ill effects. Keep your money and stay away from the ceramic bearings. I'll still offer my Lignum Vitae guide blocks which are 1 1/2" long and will no doubt outlast you. $5 per set of four delivered.
    I have a 10" Delta Band Saw (BS150LS) and I measured the guides about 15/64" square. Do you have the LVs in that size? Ben Weatherford

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Weatherford View Post
    I have a 10" Delta Band Saw (BS150LS) and I measured the guides about 15/64" square. Do you have the LVs in that size? Ben Weatherford
    LV is good, but I have known numerous people who have just used oak or other hard wood for home-made blocks. In fact, if you store your spare oak blocks in a jar of mineral oil (oak is very porous) it has the added advantage of providing the desirable degree of blade lubrication.