Thread: Lonworth Chuck for my Rikon

Lonworth Chuck for my Rikon

I decided that I needed a Longworth Chuck so I decided I'd document the process for those who might want to make one.

First I started out with two pices of Flat playwood one 3/4" and the other is 1/2" thick. I cut them into 10" squares

Attachment 38430

After finding the center on each one I made 3 circles. the first one is the diameter of the face plate that I intended to use to mount it to the lathe. In this care it's 2 inch diameter. The outer circle is 3/4" from the outside. The center circle is half the distance between the inner and outer circles.

Attachment 38431

Then I made them round using my bandsaw and circle jig.

Attachment 38432

Next I drilled a center whole through both face plates and fastened them together using a 1/4-20 bolt and self locking nut.

Attachment 38433

The next step is to cut 4 arc. The center of the arcs is the point where the center circle intersect the line the were used to find the center. The arc reached from the inner circle to the outer circle.

Attachment 38434
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:10 PM.

Once the arc are cut I drilled 4 1/2 holes in outer 1/2" thich face plate at the outer ring.

Attachment 38435

The next step is to mount the mounting face plate to the 3/4" face plate. This is a 2" diameter face plate I picked up at Rockler they cost about $18

Attachment 38436

Fiinaly the jaws are installed. For this I used some 1/2-20 bolts with flat washers, fender washer and wing nuts. The rubber pads are cane tips. I picked up this hardare from my local hardware store. for about $5.00

Attachment 38437

Here is the finished chck installed.

Attachment 38438 Attachment 38439

Total cost of this project was less then $20 since the plywood was scraps. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:10 PM.

Pretty slick set up, nice job!

Corey

Wow! Nicely executed Don. Thanks for the How-To. I trust it meets all your expectations?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Could a variant of this be built for use with small items (chess pieces, etc)? Also, how tough is it to maintain a true center with it?

Ah, the abyss beckons... Now I want a router...
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Don are the cain tips holding up as planned? I made a chuck and am disappointed in the rubber bumpers I am using. Nice job on the chuck.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Henry C. Gernhardt, III
    Could a variant of this be built for use with small items (chess pieces, etc)? Also, how tough is it to maintain a true center with it?

Ah, the abyss beckons... Now I want a router...
    I guess you could, but youd have to find something smaller then the kane tip to use to hold the pieces.
    --------------------------------
    Don are the cain tips holding up as planned? I made a chuck and am disappointed in the rubber bumpers I am using. Nice job on the chuck.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

The Kane tip seem to work very well. If they wear out they are certainly easy to replace.

John.
    It isn't for very heavy turning but for light cuts and sanding it work ectreamly well. It does a good job of centering the piece when you rotate the two disks.

Don,

That looks pretty slick. I think I need to add that to my project list!

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.