Thread: Help in aligning unisaw pulleys!

Help in aligning unisaw pulleys!

After getting a 15 yr old Unisaw from a buddy (he cut off his thumb with it, then bought the Sawstop!), I pulled the top off to check for belt wear, etc.
    Seems that the arbor pulleys and the motor pulleys are not in the same plane at all; they were out of plane about 5/16" or so.
    I was able to move the motor pulleys a bit, until I ran out of room on the shaft, which got about half of the problem fixed, so when I loosened that big bolt that holds the arm that holds the arbor pulleys it throws off the relationship of the blade to the throat plate, so much that it hits it. What am I doing wrong?

I am at a loss on this. You should be able to adjust the table over enough for the blade to clear the throat plate.
    In looking at the parts list. The only other adjustment that I can see would be where the trunions mount to the cabinet. There could be some adjustment at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    I am at a loss on this. You should be able to adjust the table over enough for the blade to clear the throat plate.
    In looking at the parts list. The only other adjustment that I can see would be where the trunions mount to the cabinet. There could be some adjustment at that point.
    It's been a long time since I looked at a Unisaw motor/arbor setup, so I can't remember exactly how the pullys are made, Sooooooo.......I'm asking this question so maybe someone with a Unisaw can look at it and see if my "Possibility" could be applicable in this case.

Maybe a Possibility:??
    Due to the way "some" pulleys are designed, (with one end of the center part of the pulley protruding out past the edge of the outer part that the belts run on), they will only line up when installed in the proper direction on the shaft. With this in mind, is it possible that one or both of the pulleys have at some time been installed backwards on either the motor shaft, or the arbor shaft, and is thereby shifting them over to a point where there is no clearance??????
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

The pulleys are flush on each end. The set screw is in the center groove. On both of my saw the motor pulley just clears the motor case.

It's really weird. I was able to shift the table over as far as it goes, and move the upper arbor adjuster bolt over a coochie, and the blade just, and I mean just, clears the throat plate.
    I guess I will either have to elongate the holes in the sheet metal where you bolt the top, or put a spacer behind the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Messick
    It's really weird. I was able to shift the table over as far as it goes, and move the upper arbor adjuster bolt over a coochie, and the blade just, and I mean just, clears the throat plate.
    I guess I will either have to elongate the holes in the sheet metal where you bolt the top, or put a spacer behind the blade.
    Jesse, I think that before I started elongating holes or anything like that, I would contact Delta, or one of the sercive centers and quiz them about the Problem, and possible solutions. It's always possible that the holes are not in the right place, but it sure seems strange, since all those bases are manufactured using Jigs, I'm pretty sure.

Good Luck
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Unisaw Pulleys

I had a very similar on a 30 yr old I bought. I never did pull the top before I bought it to actually see if the pulleys were aligned. Once I rebuilt it, I noticed the blade wouldn't line up with the throat plate. I moved the motor pulley to the end of the shaft, and moved the arbor pulley as close as I dare to the casting, the blade was still 1/4" off from the original throat plate slot. Had another guy come over who has 2 unisaws, although never rebuilt. Solution, make new throat plates for the new blade position - end of problem. My saw runs fine for the last year. It could be the trunion aligned incorrectly one way and the table the other way, but I got sick of figuring it out. If it works, leave it alone.

Thanks to all who chimed in. I will call Delta, as I am having a real hard time believing that something built in a factory would be this out...

Is it the stock Delta furnished motor or is it a replacement that may have been substituted for the motor that is designed for the machine? If it is not a motor made to fit a Delta saw, that could make the location of the shaft off.

Mac,
    Its the original motor. I called Delta, who were very helpful, and they said you never want to move the arbor adjuster-just the motor pulley. Apparently, it's ok if I have the end of the motor pulley hanging out 3/8" or so from the end of the shaft-they recommend a bit of loctite on the shaft.