Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloat. The third leg of my shaping triangle comes home. Da Moulder.

did you hold a gun on the guy when you were handing him the money Dev...
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Dev,

Yes, that is very helpful. Having never seen a real production shop, and not being a professional, it can be hard sometimes to understand the significance of the difference between the hobby machines and the professional ones. I mean, I can "see" what the difference is, but I don't understand when the difference comes into play, if that makes sense. Before I ever started woodworking, I knew the difference between a router table and a shaper (well, by shaper I mean one of the 1.5 or 3 hp ones, not like the ones you and Lou have), but I would not have understood why somebody might want one over the other. So I appreciate these "get yer ass in the know" type of posts . . .

Steve,

Thanks - and yes, Geoff is the first name

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    did you hold a gun on the guy when you were handing him the money Dev...
    Not lately! The chinese are making rusty old iron more valuable than gold! Last week or so, several electrical companies were broken into and the burglers stole the copper wire spools. Now they have to lock up the copper wire at night. Hey Reg, need any copper wire? Ummmmm, yah, the spool just fell of this truck you see....
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

You can pick up a good older foursider for about US$10000 here in NZ.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

LOLOL yea' I'm about ready to start wireing my place. My 3 phase box will be here wed., the PM # 10 here fri. I hope the F&E is still at work ready to be toted home to the shop. Milbury has newly sharpened knives and the F&E 5 new heads. The snoflake has new shoes and a friend of mine is bringing a 12" nortfield. The Oliver should be back together ummmmmmm in the not to distant future. The Oliver planer is shivering to be fired up to chew up some hickory for my new cabinets. So bring on the copper and lets party....
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Dev,
    Just out of curiosity, what do you figure it will cost per hour to operate that beast in terms of electric company charges?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

7. What....?

You guys don't have three phase in your shops.......??

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    What....?

You guys don't have three phase in your shops.......??
    Why shore I do! Phase 1: Wire the circuit, install the outlet and breaker. Phase 2: Flip the breaker "On". Phase 3: Plug the dang machine in!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Why shore I do! Phase 1: Wire the circuit, install the outlet and breaker. Phase 2: Flip the breaker "On". Phase 3: Plug the dang machine in!
    Boy, you do it the easy way!

I have a few more "Phases", they include some skinned knuckles and bad words said, as well as extra trips to the lectric store, and searching for the stuff I "KNOW" I have, but can't find.......

dev, i just read up on mattison, this must have been one of the first machines to offer outboard bearings in the collars? the ol` hermintance(sp) my friend owns has babbit caps. when did they get away fron the square heads? i thought it wasn`t untill the late 40`s. i know of an old gangrip i can call about from the same era if you`re interested? tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Oh, I want to see Reg's response here about the electricity cost.... When I picked up my bandsaw from him, we had a chat about that.... ~shaking head~ You folks that currently have 3-phase better hang on to your hats, because what he tells you (if'n he tells the truth! ) will make you sick!

Reg? Oh, Reg? What have you to say, sir Reg?

Later!

Matt

Wow!!! that is a bigun'. You're the man
    Jerry

That's it Dev! No more for you. The balance of the planet is starting to shift! You are in seroius jeopardy of sending us spinning off out of our solar system.

Cool score bud!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Dev,
    Just out of curiosity, what do you figure it will cost per hour to operate that beast in terms of electric company charges?
    Is this question being avoided?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Is this question being avoided?
    That depends on many factors so there is no clean answer.

If I run absolute full load continous, I can burn about 120 amps. That is assuming full depth patterns with maximum feed rates on a 6 in by 4 in billet.

But since I am more interested in quality than quanity, I can back off on the feed rate which takes some of the intensity off the motors.

Also, depending on what your doing, you dont always need to run all four heads.

Lastly, if your running stock for any given project, your usually running a very short run of material. That is one of the reasons for having a machine like this.

Hope this sheds some light...
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.