Thread: Thoughts on the General 690-1?

Arrow Thoughts on the General 690-1?

I'm thinking of buying the General 690-1 15" (12 3/4" depth of cut, 310 lbs, $2659 CDN) bandsaw and was wondering if anyone had an opinion to share before I crack my piggy bank. Thanks!

Have you looked at the Minimax MM16?

Robert,

Please do not take this the wrong way- have you considered Minimax? The MM16 (if not the MM20!) should be available for less than the amount you are considering.

Don't get me wrong, I have a General table saw and am thrilled with it. There is nothing at all wrong with the Canadian-made General tools.

Minimax makes great band saws.

Greg

Thanks Greg. The MM-16 looks like a great saw. With taxes, s&h, and rate of exchange, it's just out of my price range...

The MM-16 after exchange, is only around $2650 CDN. And the taxes that you'd pay to import that Minimax are just GST and PST, which you'd also pay on the General. (There may be a small duty charge, but I think its only a few percent if anything) The only real difference would be shipping, but I'm not really sure what that would be. I do think the general consensus is that the Minimax is a superior machine, however.

A Candian made General 15 inch band saw is money well spent. I am a General fan, with that said if you can toss a few more c-notes into the pot the MM16 is the way to go.

Joe

No complaints here, bought one last year. Only trouble is finding blades down here (had to start brazing my own), as its a weird size compaired to all the imports - 110 inches IIRC. Comes stock with carter guides (or perhaps General's version), has a nice threaded hole in the top of the casting right at the balance point for easy hoisting if you have the capability- makes for super easy moving. The extra height is added by cutting the standard saw's casting and inserting a riser, which is bolted in. You can't see the line from the outside, though I doubt its actually welded. Nice saw all around.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Downey
    No complaints here, bought one last year. Only trouble is finding blades down here (had to start brazing my own), as its a weird size compaired to all the imports - 110 inches IIRC. Comes stock with carter guides (or perhaps General's version), has a nice threaded hole in the top of the casting right at the balance point for easy hoisting if you have the capability- makes for super easy moving. The extra height is added by cutting the standard saw's casting and inserting a riser, which is bolted in. You can't see the line from the outside, though I doubt its actually welded. Nice saw all around.

John
    Thanks John. Sounds like I won't be sorry. Can I ask why you went with the General in the first place?

You're right Glen, the MM16 is a better saw. For me, right now it's a coin toss. I think I could get it shipped for a couple hundred. However, I'm a little concerned about some of the after sale service stories I've read, and the General dealer is right here in town (Ottawa)...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gilbert
    You're right Glen, the MM16 is a better saw. For me, right now it's a coin toss. I think I could get it shipped for a couple hundred. However, I'm a little concerned about some of the after sale service stories I've read, and the General dealer is right here in town (Ottawa)...
    robert, if you`re serious about a mm saw call `em up and ask point blank about whatever issues concern you. i think you`ll find that they`ll go out of their way to assure you`re sattisfied.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Mostly because I wanted the large resaw capacity, without a large footprint, but didn't want to fool around with installing a riser in an import saw (and then having to upgrade the motor, etc, etc). I also like the idea of supporting North American equipment manufacturing right down to its last gasp. There are only a few manufacturers left that still make what will one day be "old iron", and General is one of them. Irrational? Yep, you bet, and I'd do it again.

John

11. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gilbert
    I'm thinking of buying the General 690-1 15" (12 3/4" depth of cut, 310 lbs, $2659 CDN) bandsaw and was wondering if anyone had an opinion to share before I crack my piggy bank. Thanks!
    Robert, where are you located? I am in Calgary, and recently bought a Minimax bandsaw that is sold here in Canada, the S400P. It is identical to the minimax MM16 sold in the US up until 2004. 3.6 HP motor, 13" resaw, etc.

You can see a review at the following link

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/p...andsaw+minimax

I paid $2500 plus tax, delivered.

The bandsaw is sold through the SCM group, and they have distributors in Canada. See the link for a list....

http://www.scmgroup.com/private/bin/...chioId=MINIMAX

Awesome bandsaw, far superior to the Generla 690.
    Cheers
    Randy

Awesome. That pretty much sums up why I'm going for the General. Sounds like I'll be passing this one on to my kids one day. Thanks John.

Thanks Randy. I'm definitely going to check it out - I had no idea you could get one of these from a Canadian supplier...

PS. As my son would say, this is one sick saw! I'm in Ottawa, and will try the supplier in Montreal. I read your posting on Canadian Woodworker, and if you haven't already found him, there's a guy in Toronto (BC Saw and Tool) who, I'm told, makes some of the best blades around for peanuts. Thanks again (go Sens... next year)!