Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a cheap bench top TS

What to do with a cheap bench top TS

I recently purchased a Grizzly 1023 and now need to come up with something to do with my old, cheap ($59) sears knock off table TS. I saw in a recent shop notes magazine a set of plans that allows you to use the TS motor / arbor / pulley to drive a home made belt sander.

Anybody have an idea whether the bench top saw could be used for that or should I just use it as an anchor for my boat?

I've never done this, but I believe they make sanding discs specifically to fit in a table saw. If it were me, I would make it a disc sanding station. With a miter gauge, you could do some good clean up work with it.

Of course, more experienced people may have WAY better ideas than me.

Tim

Great idea, Tim. Here's a link to what you're referring to:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1809

hank, i`d put `er up for sale and use whatever monies you get to buy tools instead of jerry-riggin something...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

We kept ours, in case we do anything off site. We did use it when we installed hardwood floors at my wife's parents home.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    We kept ours, in case we do anything off site. We did use it when we installed hardwood floors at my wife's parents home.
    Hmmm...this sounds like a good reason to get rid of it...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I pulled the wings off mine and stuck it up on top of a cabinet in the garage, it's only about 16"x16"x10". Got an idea in the back of my head of installing one of those Freud blade sets and a shop-built sled/jig: dedicated box-joint cutter for stock the laser can't handle...total cost maybe $100.

But it's way underpowered for a drum sander, so maybe Tod's got the right idea in your case.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If you do a lot of dados, put a dado head on it and leave it set up.

As a boat anchor, it's a bit bulky. I'm thinking aquarium:

CManTSAquarium.JPG

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 05-17-2006 at 3:13 PM.

I like Tim's idea of a disc sander. I know that Sears has sold steel disks in the past, with coarse on one side and fine on the other. If I could justify committing the space to it, I think that's what I would do. (Although I do find Vaughn's aquarium interesting--I'm just not sure which room to put it in--LOML might not appreciate it in the living room....)

11. Mine is to be my beater box saw.

I'm getting a 6' Austrian slider 12" saw in a month or so and am confronting exactly the same question.

A $59.00 table saw?? Really? I didn't know there was a saw so inexpensive.

Well, at any rate I am going to keep my old one around as the table is cast iron, the trunion is just fine, and the Bies Clone fence is OK too. I'll use it for those nasty jobs like cutting steel plate with an abrasive cut off wheel and lugging out of doors for construction and - never forget this one - loaning to friends and family.

If I weren't keeping it as my beater box I think I'd convert it to a shaper or a router table.
    It would be interesting to convert the blade lift to a router lift.

I had an el cheapo ryobi table top. When I got a better table saw I gave the old one to my son in law. (never liked him much anyway)
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Sears DOES still carry the sanding disc. I just bought one a couple months ago. It works great. I think I paid about $10 (maybe $15) for it.

They're having their midnight madness sale tonight too.
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

I would put a "free to good home" ad in the classifides section and give it to someone just getting started. I did just that with my old Craftsman TS and the guy who picked it up was quite happy to have it.

Just a thought.

L

I'm in the same situation. I upgraded to an better TS and now I have an older Skil TS that I tried to give away but ended up in the tool shed instead. A few good ideas here though so I might just end up keeping it.

Will dado set-up work on one of these benchtop TS? I always thought the arbors on these things weren't capable of holding a dado set. Anybody have more good ideas on what to do with these saws?