Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've gone Mobile!

Thumbs up I've gone Mobile!

I decided to go against popular convention and grunt my new Mini Max into a mobile base. I ordered the Delta 50-296 for $89.99 from Amazon. The Delta 50-296 had the closest fit available at 17" X 27" and I have been very happy with my other Delta bases. The smaller MM16 base is 15 3/4" X 25 3/4". After teeter tottering the MM up on some wood blocks , I was able to slip the new base under. After centering the BS on it's new base, I milled 3/4" MDF shim strips down to 21/32" thick and tapped them in using a block & hammer for a tight fit. The BS now moves easily in my small garage shop and is even more stable due to the larger footprint. This was a worthwhile improvement to an already great BS.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't like it...I don't like it ONE BIT, Bruce! Nope...not at all....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I like that much better than the "mobility kit" that I have on mine. Fortunately, I don't move it much. If I did, a solution like yours would be my choice for sure! Good information, Bruce.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bruce,

I have a similar type base on my Agazanni as you had on the MM. I bought a SF that I have'nt even used yet, but lookin' at that Delta, I may look to return the SF. What is the weight capacity on that base?

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Bruce,

I have a similar type base on my Agazanni as you had on the MM. I bought a SF that I have'nt even used yet, but lookin' at that Delta, I may look to return the SF. What is the weight capacity on that base?

Bob
    Bob, the 50-296 was designed for the Delta 37-380 Professional jointer that weighs in at 415 lbs. Given the design safety factor, I didn't think the MM's 480 lbs would be pushing it too much.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-09-2004 at 10:06 PM.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I don't like it...I don't like it ONE BIT, Bruce! Nope...not at all....
    And I can even open the door all the way!

Andy Rooney

Hey, Doofus, just remove the clip off the wheel!!! Gawd...EVERYONE knows that....sigh!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hey, Doofus, just remove the clip off the wheel!!! Gawd...EVERYONE knows that....sigh!!!
    Now I was polite in my other post!

LOL!

Andy Rooney

Nice clean fix, I like it much better than mine, and it appears more stable--Way to go!

I did a similar fix with my Laguna 16" BS. I used slightly larger base by HTC and placed 2X lumber in the opening. After that I lag bolted the base of the saw to the 2x lumber. The advantage of a larger footprint is clear and the extra height helps get the BS table up to a more comfortable level. It also was cheaper than the Laguna mobility kit.

Ed

Mobile Bandsaw

Bruce
    YUP!
    That's what have under my Delta band saw.
    A mobile man after my own mobile heart. Mobile is the way to go.
    Lookin' good!
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weiser
    I did a similar fix with my Laguna 16" BS. I used slightly larger base by HTC and placed 2X lumber in the opening. After that I lag bolted the base of the saw to the 2x lumber. The advantage of a larger footprint is clear and the extra height helps get the BS table up to a more comfortable level. It also was cheaper than the Laguna mobility kit.

Ed
    Ed, I've been toying with the idea of mechanically tying everything together by drilling through the mobile base sides, MDF shims and through the base of the BS and installing a couple of bolts & nuts. I might do that today.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    Bruce
    YUP!
    That's what have under my Delta band saw.
    A mobile man after my own mobile heart. Mobile is the way to go.
    Lookin' good!
    Daniel
    Thanks Dan, unless you have a large shop like Steve Clardy and others have, mobile is the only way to go!

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Ed, I've been toying with the idea of mechanically tying everything together by drilling through the mobile base sides, MDF shims and through the base of the BS and installing a couple of bolts & nuts. I might do that today.
    Addendum to my reply to Ed's post

I added 2 bolts through the mobile base and the MM16's base. The set-up is even more stable now.

Ed, thanks for the motivation!

Attached Images Attached Images

Andy Rooney

Bruce:

After wrestling with my MM16 and the lame mobility system that came with it this week I decided to pursue the Delta mobile base route. I have a couple of questions.

Did the MM16 need any cross supports across the bottom or does it fit nicely all the way around the base?

The shims you milled down and tapped in were to pick up the slack around the edges?

Any changes to this setup since?

Thanks
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr