Thread: 20" PLANER, Bridgewood or Grizzly

Question 20" PLANER, Bridgewood or Grizzly

Hi all, What should it be? The Bridgewood BW200P 20" 5hp single motor, which looks like a solid contender ( have liked the way Wilke has dealt with me in the past or pay a bit more $for the Grizzly G5850z 20" 5hp, with a second drive motor, (maybe a more complex machine?). I do light volume work with local sawmill oak. I think the Bridgewood is fairly solid Taiwan. The Grizzly newer, (i think) and out of China. Wilke has done a good job of seting up their products before they go out the door.

Thanks for the help,
    Don

Cannot speak specifically to either model. Just compare features and make a choice. But also compare back-up service. My experience with Grizzly has been excellent. They want the customer to be happy. The caveats are: register your product, keep your receipt and make sure you contact them within the first year of purchase if there is a problem. Let us know what you do.
    p.s. I am very happy with my 12 1/2" planer from Grizzly. Not in the same category as what you are considering. But it's features stand head and shoulders above the competition. And it costs less.

Don, nothing against Grizz but, my experiences (multiple) with Wilke have always been nothing but positive!!! Also, there's an awful lot to be said for a company which sets up and tests the units before they hit the loading dock! Just MHO but, I'd cast my "vote" for the Wilke machine.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Don Reid
    Hi all, What should it be? The Bridgewood BW200P 20" 5hp single motor, which looks like a solid contender ( have liked the way Wilke has dealt with me in the past or pay a bit more $for the Grizzly G5850z 20" 5hp, with a second drive motor, (maybe a more complex machine?). I do light volume work with local sawmill oak. I think the Bridgewood is fairly solid Taiwan. The Grizzly newer, (i think) and out of China. Wilke has done a good job of seting up their products before they go out the door.

Thanks for the help,
    Don
    Don - to clarify, the G5850Z is made in Taiwan, is variable speed with a 4 blade cutterhead and we have carried it for many years. A solid workhorse.

Not sure what the pricing is on this model, but don't overlook the 1033Z (if it's still available)...may be a cheaper alternative. I put thousands of feet of mesquite through one when I was WW fulltime, and used the full 20" (19-1/2?) on several occasions. There were days when we ran it continuously for hours, stopping only to empty the dust collector. The only time it ever bogged down was when the knives were obviously in need of sharpening.

When (if) I get around to getting a big planer for myself, that's the one I'm buying.

KC

Question 2nd drive motor

Does having a second drive motor make a big difference. I don't know if the feed requirment bleeds a lot of power? I am running single phase. I expect to run a fair amount of 12' to 15' wide material.

Thanks every one for your time on this.
    Don

12'-15' wide material
    Thats some pretty wide stuff

I bought the 1033 in 1998, 3hp motor.
    Been a great machine. It will take off a 1/16 cut at 20" wide no problem. Lesser widths, it will take off an 1/8 no problem. Has good chip collection, 5" port.

Wide Material

The wide material is the pre joined sides to speaker cabinets. They are thick. So far I have had good luck joining the boards, planing, and then wrapping the four sides. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have considered a wide sander but don't have much experiance with them.

Second drive motor is a real cool feature. You can really control feed rate.
    The difference between a real nice finish on a door or just cleaning up some wood. Well worth the bucks.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

don, what are you looking to accomplish with a sander/planer? and what is your budgit? is this tool to be used in a production or hobbiest enviornment? your mention of building speaker cabinets got me to wondering and just throwing out an "do you like tai/chi#1 better than tai/chi#2 probably isn`t going to help you figure out the best way to achieve your goals....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Speaker cabinets

My primary need is a planer of rough sawn wood, most of it is oak. Later I may try some of the more exotic woods. I work with acoustic interiors and do some of the finish wood work. I would like to do more. For personal enjoyment I have been making speaker cabinets. Up till now I have joined the wood for the sides then planed them on a friend's planer, then cut them so that I have a continuous grain on three sides. The speakers are as much as 15" deep. I finish with the usual hand sanding. Non of the above is volume work. My budget is roughly $3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Reid
    My primary need is a planer of rough sawn wood, most of it is oak. Later I may try some of the more exotic woods. I work with acoustic interiors and do some of the finish wood work. I would like to do more. For personal enjoyment I have been making speaker cabinets. Up till now I have joined the wood for the sides then planed them on a friend's planer, then cut them so that I have a continuous grain on three sides. The speakers are as much as 15" deep. I finish with the usual hand sanding. Non of the above is volume work. My budget is roughly $3,000.
    Hmmmmm...... First of all, for most small hobby type shops, you will be hardpressed to beat an older parks 12 incher or one of the original powermatics in either 12 inch or 20 inch sizes, etc. Another totally awsome and insanely nice machine is the oliver 399 which you should be able to hunt down with comparative ease for your budget. The 399 is an 18 inch planer.

In the new planer department, the general 14 inch planer made in canada is totally awsome. One of the nicest of the smaller planers out there. Now wilke is one of the largest dealers for made in canada general so you can ask them about this one.

All of the afore mentioned machines usually have solid infeed rollers and solid chip breakers. Its not until you reach the 20 inch size and often the 24 inch size that you find segmented infeed rollers and segmented chipbreakers.

If I had to live with a 20 inch or smaller machine, my first choice would be a restored older Oliver 399 followed by the general 14 incher and so forth.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I would concur about looking for a used machine. After I wore out my old Delta 12-1/2" lunchbox planing 12" oak, I bought a Dewalt 734 for small use but went looking for something bigger for heavy lifting. I found an Oliver 399 in good condition for $900. It did require some work--I just had the cutter head bearings replaced for $200, which I didn't do myself because it involved dismantling the motor. I figure a new cord, repainting, and any other bearings & stuff will bring the total price to maybe $1300.

Of course, I don't know if you have 3 phase, and most older machines of this size will be 3 phase. So you may have to figure in getting a phase converter. Still, with a little patience you can certainly get running for way under your budget.

Bridgewood without a doubt! (bet ya didn't see that coming did ya?? )

First off Don, Welcome To The Creek!

The Bridgewood BW-200PV is a dual motor variable speed model $2795 + shipping ($2750 for the Grizz) with speeds from 16-32 fpm (17-26 on the Grizz). It also comes with a insert cutter head that uses carbide inserts (4 steel blades on the Grizz) A USA made motor, either Baldor or Marathon (Import motor on the Grizz) Square D switches (i don't know about the Grizz) and each machine is setup and run under power before it leaves the warehouse (i don't think Grizz does this). Wilke is also 2 hours closer to you if you want to pick it up.

IMHO, it's a no brainer, get the Bridgewood.

It's fair to tell you i have 8 Bridgewood machines in my shop and each is a quality machine.

I've talked at length with Curt Wilke on several occasions and he's a stand up guy that knows how to treat a customer. Jim, the "guy behind the wall" knows each machine inside out, from setup to troubleshooting. Wilke is a family run business ( a rarity these days) and they've been in business for over 25 years.

OK, I know,I'm starting to sound like an advertising agent so I'll shut up now...

Brian

No affiliation with Wilke, just a very happy customer......................

_______ _______ _______
    EDIT

I quoted the wrong price for the Bridgewood. The model 200PV (without the insert cutter head) is $2795. The model 200PVS has the insert cutter head and sells for $3695. Sorry. Guess i shouldn't eat and post at the same time....
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 05-18-2006 at 6:59 PM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

don, if you`re able, rehabing an older unit will give you the most bang for your buck. if you`re not able i`d go either offering from wilke they seem like stand-up folk who run an honest business...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.