Thread: Finishing Ideas?

Finishing Ideas?

Greetings all

I am in a bit of a quandry - maybe not a big one, but one nonetheless. I just finished, or am almost finished with a very large bowl/plate. You can see the picture here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=36501&page=5

It measures 24" across at its widest point, and has edges both natural and sawn. In the past I have left sawn edges rough, right from the chainsaw, but on this piece I had to cut it down a bit to get it to fit on the lathe, and then do a bit of trimming to get it to sit well. The natural edges are still natural, but the sawn edges are - well, they are sawn, but have lost some of their roughness. I am thinking of sanding them all smooth (not the natural edges of course!). Any suggestions? What do others like to see?

Oh yeah, this piece of wood was given to me by Ed Lang when I stopped to visit him on my way home from my demo in VA. Thanks Ed, and aren't you glad you kept that one piece? Wait till you see what oil does for this thing! I got a sneak preview with some mineral spirits.

Bill

i vote for sand `em slick....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I'd take a texturing tool to them to simulate the natural edges.

Well, I wouldn't because I'm a rookie and would goof it up, but you could do it!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

unless you can get a scalloped hand planed / hand carved look then I would sand them. A scalloped edge (like whittling) would look cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton
    I thought texturing tools had to be used while the object was spinning. Shows what I know.

Bill, I've been thinking about this for a while. Sculpturing looks good on some pieces, and texturing does too, but with the shape of this one, I don't think so. I have seen similar turnings though with burned edges that looked nice. It fits with the bark and it doesn't matter if the cut edges are sanded or not. Of course with a piece that size, I'm not sure how long burning would take.

Ernie

Smooth 'em up Bill. IMHO, of course...and you know how much you paid for it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    I thought texturing tools had to be used while the object was spinning. Shows what I know.

Ernie
    there are plenty of ways to texture it both on and off the lathe. Since I am out of commission except for my mini at the moment I am texturing several platter blanks by laying thin chain on thm and hammering it in and then burning the piece with a torch. Once I finish turn these pieces I will sand the surface burning off and leaving finely charred texture just below the surface. You can also do the with a needle scaler as well. The needle scaler works best post turning and the hammering is best done after rough turning in my opinion. Other surface treatments can be done with a wired brush in your drill or angle grinder. Never done this one but have seen it from Richard Raffan offerings.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Bill.

I would sand the edges smooth and either perpendicular to the bowl surface or at roughly the same radius as the natural edges if any. In keeping with the dark edges of the natural edge then take a torch to blacken the edge and sand off any blackening of top or bottom surface.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Hi Bill,

As you know, I credit you for getting me started on these winged forms a few years ago (And, by the way these are one of my favorite things to do.) After trying all different type of treatments on these, here is what I've come to prefer. I like the contrast between the natural edges, and a very sharp, crisp smooth cut on the 3 wings. Here's my method after experimenting many times. I mark with a straight edge, then saw on the line with a japanese razor saw. After that, I use a very sharp shoulder plane (or low angle block plane)and plane the end grain, only planing toward the center so as not to tear out at the edge. This method is much faster and gives better results than sanding, and the edge is perfectly straight. Can't wait to see it when your done!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton

Well, I wouldn't because I'm a rookie and would goof it up, but you could do it!
    Barry, when it comes to texturing, at least texturing on purpose, I am a rookie too! I did buy a carving tool with some discretionary money last year, but it has seen minimal use so far.

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards smooth, and I really like the handplane idea Brad. I even have one! Now I just have to get the thing finish sanded. I had some TV watching get in the way of turning yesterday.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Thanks guys! I was leaning towards smooth, and I really like the handplane idea Brad.
    FWI, I did a similar (well sort of) shaped bowl but MUCH smaller recently. I ended up planing the edges on mine and I like the way it turned out. (the edges are not finished in this photo)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1145592363