Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at hollowing

My first attempt at hollowing

Well I can’t say I did it the correct way but I did it. It wasn’t easy with the lack of a steadier so it jumper and vibrated a little and I only have a straight necked hollowing tool so getting to the widest part was fun, but I am not complaining. I am happy with my first one you guys do just pretty work that I just had to try. It’s a piece of Cherry that I got a while back with Leopard wood and a piece of black veneer. Its 8 inches tall and 4 ½ wide at the widest point. I still have a few more coats before I’m done but I couldn’t wait any longer.
    As I was do this yesterday I remembered something. You know how when you get the shavings flying you loose all track of time? Will I have too. I remember that this month is an anniversary for me. I will have past the 1 year mark. I can’t believe it been a year already. I want to say a little thank you to all of you. You all add some much to us new turners, I hope you all understand that. Even if we all don’t see eye to eye all the time the discussion is what we learn from.
    I hope you get to make some shavings this weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

nice job tony!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tony that is a beautiful job for the first one. I like it. Great job. Tony you are so right. I have learned so much off this forum. Wonderful, knowledgable people that are willing to help and give.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looking good!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Tony............Excellent 1st hollowform!...............and you are right.........Neat bunch here...........generous in many ways!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You definitely found what was in that beautiful hunk of wood. Great job.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

7. Great job, Tony!

Tony, I can only hope my first HF will look even a fraction as nice as yours!!! Good job and keep it up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

9. Hey that is really good looking, and has a built in hole to let the shavings out!!

Cheers!

Looking good Tony, I like the piece.

Corey

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, Tony...there's a hole in the side of your vase.

Great work!! I love it. The top reminds me of a duck's collar for some reason.

-Joe

Tony, that is an absolutely fabulous piece. The form and heartwood/sapwood pattern remind me a great deal of a torso sculpture, and the upper ring makes it look even moreso. IMHO, you have truly brought out the best in that wood.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

love how you all keep saying attempt ! Looking nice ! Haven't had much spinny time, too many flatwork projects. However I will be placing an order for my Oneway sometime next week so I'll HAVE to break that in !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Tony,

That looks great! Great job.
    Be Blessed!

Exclamation Say what????

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    However I will be placing an order for my Oneway sometime next week so I'll HAVE to break that in !
    BUSTED!!!! Hey Keith, this sounds like a stealth gloat, my friend!!! OK, not that the cat's outta' the bag, we need details!!! Yeah, we'll be expecting pics when it hits your shop but, in the meantime, we need something to chew on!!! Come on...Give it up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!