Thread: Another wood ID game

Another wood ID game

So I went back to the magic wood spot where I found the Moraine locust last time (thanks for the help IDing that one), and what did I find but a NEW pile of moraine locust!

After lifting all I could into my pickup, I spotted some of this:

unknown3.jpg

There were pieces of trunk from about 14" to about 18" in diameter. Unfortunately, most of them were 4-6' long, and I could only manage a couple in my pickup by myself. Didn't have the chainsaw with me.

Then I spotted the base of the main trunk. It was on its side, all lumpy, and over 4 FEET in diameter. I looked at the base of the trunk, looked at my Tacoma, looked at the trunk, looked at my Tacoma...

So what do you think it is? The heartwood has a lot of reds and pinks in it.

unknown2.jpg

unknown1.jpg

-Joe

It looks just like some sycamore I cut down about a year ago.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

This is a sycamore subspecies, probably not american sycamore based on how high that would have been cut from the ground based on diamter, but I don't have enough info on the rest of the tree to tell you which variety for sure. Was any of the bark white? Based on the lack of bark shedding shown and your location I am guessing this is either a london or oriental planetree. The oriental planetree gets a pretty good girth but not quite as much as like the the american sycamore and it doesn't shed nearly as much bark. I have never heard of a london planetree getting quite as big as you are discribing but the wood and the bark are a pretty good match to it.
    Last edited by Brad Hart; 05-20-2006 at 4:43 PM.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Sycamore, American, English, Plane, or whatever and that piece of crotchwood ought to make something really pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Sycamore, American, English, Plane, or whatever and that piece of crotchwood ought to make something really pretty.
    I thought that same thing and can'tr wait till this summer when I have the choicest pick of a 1/2 acre stand of mostly sycamore and elm is coming down. god bless my firends at the county parks service.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.