Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advance Notice - Neander only drawing

1. Thank you Aaron.

I think by now we understand.

Take care, Mike

In the context of the SMC forum, why is an exclusive drawing a problem? Discrimination implies that someone is being hurt by a particular action... this doesn't hurt anyone....it's a woodworking give-away not a job opportunity or housing lottery...so what if you miss out on a freebie because you don't participate in a certain forum...you are not hurt...you have exactly what you had to start with.

Out of over 7000 members there appears to be only 10 or so individual responses to this thread with 1100+ views....if there was/is a problem with this offering then I would expect more comments....as it is, there are not, so, let them have their drawing.
    Regards,
    Greg

Good morning Stu. Me stating that Harry would decide who a neander is........I can sit here and decide that I am going to give away something and it will only be to a neander. Nothing wrong with that, nobody to stop me. If I enter the smc forum then it violates the rules so there is an end put to it. I stated that it is his right to decide.......it is his right because it is his contest and prize. Again when he entered the domain of this forum it no longer became his right. If you want to give something away to someone in your state race sex religion etc. That is perfectly fine with me. I think that is part of freedom. Yes I read the rules when I signed up. I do not think that Harry intended on breaking the rules. It was probably just an innocent accident. Who qualifies as a neander........I did not miss the point...........The point is not with excluding others, the point is excluding others breaks the rules. Again I do not believe that Harry did this in any cold hearted way, it was just an accident. I believe this is why we have moderators. I do strongly support free speach. SMC only allows me to say certain things and it is there house so I respect that. Sitting here at home I can dream up a contest and a prize and then decide a select group of people that I want to let enter the contest. All of this is well within my rights [as a Canadian]. When I enter the SMC house though I must respect the rules that I agreed to. If I make an error in what I can and cannot say on the forum then I would guess that a moderator would step in to correct me. Lastly, taking the single statement of I think that it is odd that we have different groups turners neanders etc. Yet the problem with this is that is excludes people from outside of this forum [neander]. and breaking it into 2 distinct statements is "lawyeristic" So in the end what I see is this. You can sit at home and dream up a contest, choose the group of people who may enter, and then post it on the neander page at smc without thinking that it is a violation of smc rules. If it turns out to be against smc rules but not against civil rules or moral rules, then any problems with the contest must be directed towards smc for allowing its rules to be broken. Because how can you blame someone for dreaming up a contest and then posting it? Even if it is to a specific group of people that smc determines to be a specific group of people? Peter

Peter and Stu..........if I may inject a couple of thoughts....

1. The SMC TOSs were IIRC drawn up by the membership when the site was first established.

2. The forums...turners....neanders...etc......were established at the request of members as a way of more quickly getting to the posts of their own personal interests............

3....It's sure nice to see you two Canadians talking/typing to each other!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jr.
    This was an incredibly generous offer. I am new to this forum, but have been browsing the posts for some time now and thoroughly enjoy the information and projects you have posted. Please don't stop.

It is unfortunate that you made the decision to withdraw the offer in another post. Isn't it always the way, in a world that people seem to find find a way to be offended by the most trivial of things, that a person can't do a good deed without worrying about litigation. People have to read some secret hidden message into everything when there is no hidden message to begin with. You would think people could enjoy and appreciate the spirit of of such an offer of genorisity. I have no use at this time for such a saw and therefor would not have entered the contest.

Once again please keep the posts coming!

Since I am only a part time Neander and not wanting to upset anyone I refrainded from posting until now. That said I consider the neander methods a lost art and am glad for this part of the forum to learn how to properly use hand tools. I have learned a great deal here and will continue to read this forum for just that reason. I would think that those who are ture neaders would want to promote the art form and encourage others join in and learn as I have. I only own a few hand planes some chisels and a few rasps and 1 small dovetail saw. I use all of my hand tools from time to time. So would I be excluded from a contest such as this because I use both corded and non corded tools. What about others who do as I do. I think that the all inclusivness of the creek is a good thing and also thiink that anyone who would win a fine saw would treasue it and use it or they would pass on recieveing the item should they win.