Thread: two PCs one monitor

two PCs one monitor

is it possible to use one monitor with two PCs. I would think I can only one PC at a time.
    Mike

Absolutely! Do a "google" on KVM switches. There are those which go from two pc's up to enterprise systems controlling multitudes of machines from a single keyboard, mouse and monitor. For more in line with home use, there are basically two types; One has PS2 inputs for the keyboard and mouse, the other has USB inputs. The monitor input is typically analog (VGA) type. You should be able to pick up a decent one with cables for under $50.00.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Pretty easy, actually. A lot of newer monitors have multiple switchable inputs: one button press gets you from one PC to the other.

A more elegant solution is a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch that switches the whole "cockpit" between two or more CPUs.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks I ordered a KVM switch this morning.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Absolutely! Do a "google" on KVM switches. There are those which go from two pc's up to enterprise systems controlling multitudes of machines from a single keyboard, mouse and monitor. For more in line with home use, there are basically two types; One has PS2 inputs for the keyboard and mouse, the other has USB inputs. The monitor input is typically analog (VGA) type. You should be able to pick up a decent one with cables for under $50.00.

....UH...O.K. I think?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    ....UH...O.K. I think?
    Mike, questions? Not sure of terminology? Fire away and I'll see if I can clear anything up for you. (IT stuff is what I do for a living so, happy to assist if I can.)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!