Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paste wax for tool surfaces?

Johnsons on the jointer , boards just glide across the beds.
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Blog Entries
    As usual, the members of this forum came through. My thanks to you all. I hope any small contributions I may have made have helped someone as much.

Thanks again SMCreekers!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

gee

what happened to slip-it?

I also like minwax

lou

Wax

The best wax I have found is "BUTCHER"S Bowling Ally" past wax. You can get it at any hardware store. It's 100% carnuba wax and doesn't have the addatives you find in car wax.

Chet18013s

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    While any non-silicone furniture paste wax will work to make a machine tabletop more slippery, none will provide much moisture or water protection. If you want protective qualities, tests by Wood Magazine found that the only product that lasted more than one day in their tests was Boeshield T9. All other surface protectors and paste waxes failed within 24 hours.
    howie, if the wax i use (any of the brands listed) failed, i haven`t noticed? the boards still slide and the cast iron hasn`t rusted in the 60-95% humidity here in the sticks.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

My shop is a very high-humidity environment (walk-out basement with the pressure tank and other plumbing, sweats in summer). I use Johnsons paste wax on the exposed surfaces (table saw, lathe bed, etc.) about once a year. If I don't rust will form quickly. The Johnsons does a good job.

I use Johnsons, but I never realized that people used it to make the surface slick. I thought the only reason to use it was for rust protection. Living here in south Houston you can actually watch the tools rust. Paste wax is the only thing that works longer than a day or two.

I also use Johnson's Paste Wax on all my tools both for making them slippery and to protect against the Carolina humidity. Top Saver from Empire works for protecting from rust but the Johnson's does a great job at keeping them slick and rust free.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I have some rust on my drill press cast table. Can anyone suggest how to remove it before I wax the surface.
    Thanks John Schoenauer

Quote Originally Posted by John Schoenauer
    I have some rust on my drill press cast table. Can anyone suggest how to remove it before I wax the surface.
    Thanks John Schoenauer
    sander/scotchbrite, depending on how deap it is..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

They tell me that anybody who is anybody uses Renaissance Micro-Crystalline wax so if you want to be an anybody and not a nobody you should join the rest of the anybodies in slicking up your tools with this great Wax. I did.
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper