Thread: Can the rails on a 50" Vega fence be cut down?

Question Can the rails on a 50" Vega fence be cut down?

I am looking at upgrading the fence on my Jet contractors saw. From what I have seen and read for the money the Vega fence seems like it would be a good option. I am strictly a hobby user and have looked at the Biese, Mule, HTC, Jet and others. For the price that Amazon has on the utility model this weekend I think that is what I am leaning towards.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to cut down the rails on the 50" model? I don't have room for the full 50" rails, but I would like to have more then 26" as well.

Thanks,
    Craig

craig, years ago i bought a vega "pro" fence, after a short time and several hundred dollars of wasted sheetgoods(due to the fence sliding) i gave it away. for what it`s worth..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Yes, the rails can be cut down. The fence rides only on the front rail. It is a round pipe. The fence will move sideways if you don't adjust it so that the clamp grips the rail tightly. You can make it tight enough. There is a hook on the back end of the fence to catch onto the back rail so that the end of the fence doesn't pull up if you are using a jig or featherboard that puts an upward force on the fence body.

I have also had a Vega fence and was very happy with it. It was on a Vega rolling table saw that I regret selling. It was a true rolling table saw, split at the blade.I found the fence to be durable and accurate. Although I did not have reason to cut the rails, I think a grinder with a cutoff wheel would do the trick.

The rail can be trimmed to size easily. I've had one for about 5 years now and it has never moved from where I set it or deflected in any way even slightly. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

...Jim

Thanks for all the answers. I am still debating wether or not to pull the trigger this evening. I already spent plenty on tools lately but for 207.99 delivered it is hard to pass up.

Thanks again,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W. White
    I've had one for about 5 years now and it has never moved from where I set it or deflected in any way even slightly. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
    I second those remarks. I purchased one used from a woodnet classified and I could not be happier. I had an old style jetfence on my Jet Contractor. I can now actually make accurate and straight cuts. No problem with deflection or movement.

I have a U26 on my jet saw, and I have been pleased with it.

Vega woodworking does make a 40" pro model. It's a little beefier than the u26 or u50.

Amazon has the pro 40 for $280.