Thread: Saw ID

Saw ID

Last year I picked up an old handsaw at a flea market. I paid three canadian dollars for it. I have yet to be able to identify the maker. It is a straight back with a very small nib. The etching has all but disappeared. The handle seems to be beech with split brass nuts. The sunk in brass medallion bears a fake Royal British coats of arms. It bears the patent date of Dec, 21 1869 which, I think, refers to the US Munger patent about split nuts. It also bears the inscription Warranted Extra. Here is a photo of the medallion. Maybe one has seen one like it before and can identify the maker.
    Roger

2. Hi Roger, welcome...

You are correct about the patent date. This patent was assigned to:
    Shurly Dietrich - Galt, Ontario Canada
    Richardson Brothers - Newark, NJ
    Harvey W. Peace - Brooklyn, NY

And applies to the fact the bolt is inset into a larger head.

My guess is if the saw is made by one of the three above, it would be Dietrich as the Peace and Richardsons are thus marked and the medallions are different.

But I've seen that mark before and it strikes me it was a different maker altogether. So Datamp [the source of the patent info I pulled out] may not be complete.

Take care, Mike

Thank you Mike for your reply. Are we talking about the same patent? I was refering to a US patent no 98180 issued to a D.T.Munger about Heading Screws. Here is the link where I found this information.
    http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/munger/munger.html
    Roger

Thanks a lot Mike. I did not know this site. It be useful in the future. Incidently the saw is a 7 tpi rip saw and is quite pleasant to use.
    Roger

5. Great. 7 ppi is about my favorite all-around tooth for both cc and rip. Even to the point my old D-7 that I have had forever and is getting filed out is even my favorite vintage saw.

Datamp holds a lot of info. It gets updated frequently as people find out information.

Take care, Mike