Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707677787980818283 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1232

Thread: Birth of a shop

Marty, I've been reading your thread since it started and I check it daily (multi times a day actually). I have to saw that I am truely impressed with the amount you accomplish each day. How many hours a day are you working on the shop. The daily output has been impressive...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    Marty, I've been reading your thread since it started and I check it daily (multi times a day actually). I have to saw that I am truely impressed with the amount you accomplish each day. How many hours a day are you working on the shop. The daily output has been impressive...joe
    Joe,

Thanks for the kind words, and for spending/wasting so much of your time on my thread...

Since I started this adventure, I try to work from sun-up to sun-down, seven days a week. I have a day here or there where I'm stuck because of supplies, or weather (or kidney stones), but it's pretty much 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

One of the joys that keeps me going is being able to sit on the back deck of the house and look over at what I've accomplished each day. That joy is getting harder and harder, as more of my work is moving inside. That's ok though, since I can sit on the porch of the shop and look in....

Thanks again...
    - Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    ...Since I started this adventure, I try to work from sun-up to sun-down, seven days a week....

but it's pretty much 10-12 hours a day...

...That joy is getting harder and harder, as more of my work is moving inside. That's ok though, since I can sit on the porch of the shop and look in....

Thanks again...
    - Marty -
    Marty - That's good news. Once you are working all inside and have power and light you can really crack on and save from wasting the other 12-14 hours a day like you are now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Marty - That's good news. Once you are working all inside and have power and light you can really crack on and save from wasting the other 12-14 hours a day like you are now!
    Ian,

That's not a joke. I often lament not having sufficient power out there when I have to quit because I can't see the cut line anymore.

The engineer from the electric co-op was here yesterday and we had a very 'interesting' conversation. Options are open to me that I wasn't aware of that may be 'shedding light' on my situation sooner than I hoped/planned. More on that soon...

In the mean time, I literally listen to the roosters crowing on a nearby farm every morning as we both wait for the sun to come up.

Cheers...
    - Marty -

Marty,

Been a while since I posted but Ive been following most every day, I even checked in on the progress a few times while I was in China a couple weeks back.

Things are definetly taking shape. I wished I lived closer, I would be over to help.

Take care and keep posting those pictures.

Regards

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randy street
    Marty,

Been a while since I posted but Ive been following most every day, I even checked in on the progress a few times while I was in China a couple weeks back.

Things are definetly taking shape. I wished I lived closer, I would be over to help.

Take care and keep posting those pictures.

Regards

Randy
    Hey Randy,

Thanks for stopping in. Nice to know my thread was being viewed in China!

Pretty soon, if you were closer, you'd be able to come over and hang out IN the shop. I'm getting closer....

- Marty -

Nice progress Marty, I follow it religously. Are you going to complete all the siding before you start the electrical? I'm assuming the electrical is your next step.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem
    Nice progress Marty, I follow it religously. Are you going to complete all the siding before you start the electrical? I'm assuming the electrical is your next step.

Doug
    Doug,

I plan to get rudimentary electrical run as soon as I have a few feet of siding up on the back of the shop where I have to install the meter head. Until I do that, I have to run an incredibly noisy generator to power my table saw to work with the Cypress.

Once the siding is complete, yes, electrical will be my next major phase. Along with electrical, I'll be adding plumbing for compressed air while I'm "in the walls".

Thanks for following...
    - Marty -

Marty I still have to run my airlines. What are you going to use? I know alot of people use copper, but it is expensive.

Kaeser Compressor recommended this really slick aluminum pipe that has all slip fit fittings and you can add extra lines at any time with out cutting the pipe. It's really pricey though, looks like more than copper.
    What are your thoughts?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem
    Marty I still have to run my airlines. What are you going to use? I know alot of people use copper, but it is expensive.

Kaeser Compressor recommended this really slick aluminum pipe that has all slip fit fittings and you can add extra lines at any time with out cutting the pipe. It's really pricey though, looks like more than copper.
    What are your thoughts?

Doug
    Doug,

I'm pretty much decided on black pipe. It's affordable and durable. It's heavy and harder to work with, but since I'm burying it in the walls, I want something that will outlast me.

tod posted the following a while back which got me started in this direction: tp_tools. It's worth a read for sure! (Thanks tod! )

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    You should choose pink, just to get even.

Eh, but then you'd have to look at it every day. Scratch that idea.
    Vaughn,

You're right about that... having to look at pink every day. NOT a good idea...

I don't feel it will be too hard to select a shade of stain that will match the house closely. I'm just lucky there is a couple hundred feet between the house and shop... distance will be my "friend" here...

I hope by Sunday we'll be spraying cypress!!

- Denise -

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    Boy, that Stain and/or Paint matching can sure be a "Chore", even with all the High Tech gizmos they have to analyze it.
    Norman,

No High Tech Gizmos needed... My plan (since I have been tasked with color selection) is to first select the closest matching color chip from the collection of 30+ Marty brought home. Next I'll have a pint/quart of that shade mixed up... stain a section of cypress and allow it to dry. Depending on how it dries (lighter or darker) will determine whether to actually use that shade or select another couple of chips within the same "range" of grey and do additional tests. I work in the print industry and deal alot with "PMS" colors where there are various ranges of shades/tones within each color. It may take a few pints/quarts before I hit it but the shade should be pretty dog gone close when I'm done...

- Denise -

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    ...The engineer from the electric co-op was here yesterday and we had a very 'interesting' conversation. Options are open to me that I wasn't aware of that may be 'shedding light' on my situation sooner than I hoped/planned......
    Wassat Marty - you gonna build your own power station too??

14. Quote Originally Posted by Denise Bussineau
    ...I work in the print industry...
    Well, that's gonna take all the sport out of it. Cheater.

Sounds like you've got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Bussineau
    Norman,

No High Tech Gizmos needed... My plan (since I have been tasked with color selection) is to first select the closest matching color chip from the collection of 30+ Marty brought home. Next I'll have a pint/quart of that shade mixed up... stain a section of cypress and allow it to dry. Depending on how it dries (lighter or darker) will determine whether to actually use that shade or select another couple of chips within the same "range" of grey and do additional tests. I work in the print industry and deal alot with "PMS" colors where there are various ranges of shades/tones within each color. It may take a few pints/quarts before I hit it but the shade should be pretty dog gone close when I'm done...

- Denise -
    Aha.......I now see the method to Marty's Madness...........He's got his OWN "INHOUSE" High Tech Gizmo". Nothing like being able to call in the "A" Team when needed. I hope you're home by now, Denise, 'cause I think Marty's needing some good moral support about now, after working alone for the past week or so, (and maybe even a real hand as well, since that haymow door has kinda got him slowed down a bit). Soooooo.....good luck on your color selecting, and I hope you hit it right the first try.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 10-12-2006 at 2:27 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".