Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth of a shop

Of course Art is correct, it just hit me a little funny, so thought I'd make a joke about it. I think what really makes it look like it is "planted" is that the leaves are in such very sharp focus for it being that far away. It's like the camera focused on the tree instead of the trusses, which is very likely since it is in the middle of the frame. But beautiful view, none the less.
    Marty, at least it's a small strip that's wasted. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    ....................Marty - Re: getting the plywood on the roof. I have no idea. But I happen to be picking up a copy of this book this weekend: "Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building" .............
    Art, I have that book, my dad gave it to me for Christmas last year.

I has a lot of good ideas, tips and trick, and there are a lot of time saving points, good basics on the math you need too.

One of the better things I found in the book is how he addresses the whole "Working Alone" thing, the good and bad points and things like motivation etc.

He also tells you what things you should really hire a crew for, even if for half a day.

Hey Marty, you up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    How is it you figure I'm "Japanese Canadian".....

Born and raised in Canada, father's side is from Liverpool England, mother's side from Austria, a VERY long time ago.

A Canadian living in Japan, I am!

Dude!

Sorry Stu, I was just throwing together a couple of your attributes to create a silly adjective. I could have said "Dungeon master liquer seller", but THAT would have just been dumb.

Sorry Stu, didn't mean anything by it, Sorry.

Marty, that's a GREAT pic. One to hang on the wall of the new shop when it's done?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    Norman,

I really like your idea. I think it'll work very nicely, if I do indeed find bulges in the gypsum. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Thanks..
    - Marty -
    I seriously doubt after mudding/taping the ceiling wall joint that you will see any bulge from the clips. This is getting just a weeeeeeeee bit anal, dontcha think??!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Sorry Stu, I was just throwing together a couple of your attributes to create a silly adjective. I could have said "Dungeon master liquer seller", but THAT would have just been dumb.

Sorry Stu, didn't mean anything by it, Sorry.

Marty, that's a GREAT pic. One to hang on the wall of the new shop when it's done?
    No worries Mark, no harm, no foul, I did not mean to sound upset or such, just surprised is all.

I have a lot of Japanese Canadian friends...........

Cheers!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    So, are all those friends people of Japanese descent living in Canada or those of Canadian descent living in Japan?

No worries Mark, no harm, no foul, I did not mean to sound upset or such, just surprised is all.

Cheers!

Great, just making sure. You know my fourth grade humor, pretty lame.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chip Charnley
    So, are all those friends people of Japanese descent living in Canada or those of Canadian descent living in Japan?
    Yes.......

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Great, just making sure. You know my fourth grade humor, pretty lame.
    Nothing wrong with grade 4 humor at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Re: the "photoshopped" trees. I think our brains are just confused and playing tricks on us. If you look at the photo, the trusses fill the rest of the frame - with the angle, the overlapping trusses become one solid mass of beige and shadow. There is no HINT of trees behind the trusses. So the trees in the middle are a shocking splash of green, and don't appear to be visually connected to anything else.

(I may be a computer geek, but I've got a Liberal Arts degree back there. Wayyyy back there.)

Marty - Re: getting the plywood on the roof. I have no idea. But I happen to be picking up a copy of this book this weekend:
    "Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building" (**I got sucked into the feeding frenzy at the www.bookcloseouts.com website that was started here last week. It so happens that their warehouse is located in my parents home town, and they only charge a $1 "shipping" fee if I come and pick it up at the store.)

And I'll let you know if he has any brilliant suggestsions in it. As it is, I suspect you're going to be going up and down that ladder a LOT, and my body aches in sympathetic pain just thinking about it...
    Art,

I think you're right about the lack of trees except through the haymow door 'portal'. That's got to be what's giving us the weird illusion.

As for the Working Alone book, I bought that (and several others) before I even started this project. It has some good ideas in it, although I don't really like the way he gets plywood up high. He uses a C-Clamp clamped on to the corner of a sheet, and then climbs the ladder, using the c-clamp as a handle of sorts. There are several other gems in that book though, so I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

I should actually give credit to Jonathan of "The Workshop Project (dot com)" fame. He included a reference section on his site that lists books and web sites he used for his shop. I have every book on that list...and then some. Thanks Jonathan, for getting my shop library started...

Stay tuned for another update in a minute...
    - Marty -

Hey Marty, you up yet?
    Stu,

Given that you posted that question at 10:30 my time, I was not only up, but up on the trusses working...for about THREE HOURS already! I ain't no slacker...

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I seriously doubt after mudding/taping the ceiling wall joint that you will see any bulge from the clips. This is getting just a weeeeeeeee bit anal, dontcha think??!!
    Chris,

Actually that's been a big problem for me since I started this project. I'm used to building furniture where tolerances are quite small to get the desired finished look. Working on this project, where an 1/8" is acceptably within tolerances hasn't been easy. Denise keeps telling me "It's construction...quit trying to perfection!".

You're probably right about not seeing any bulges, but now I have a possible idea tucked away in case I need it...

- Marty -

I just finished the attic floor, and started on some internal bracing for the trusses. Denise came out and saw that I had almost all the plywood up in the attic already and asked me how I was doing that without her help. Since I was about to get the last three up there, I told her to go get the camera and I'd show her:

Attachment 45144 Attachment 45145 Attachment 45146 Attachment 45147

I created a ramp out of a pair of 16' 2x4's. I shot a nail through a scrap of 2x6 into the shop floor. The scrap acted as a stop block for the 2x4's. Then all I had to do was push the sheets up the ramp, climbing the ladder as I progressed.

I wish I had used 3/4" ply for the floor up there, since it would have been stiffer on those 24"oc trusses. But I'm sure glad I didn't use 3/4" when it came time to pushing it up the ramp!!!

Oh, and here's the bracing I've started adding to the lower chords of the trusses. It's a strongback/stiffback made from a 16' 2x6, with a 16' 2x4 nailed into the side of the 2x6. The whole thing is then nailed into every truss it crosses. I'm not sure I'm going to continue installing it on the other three corners though, since the trusses are already plenty rigid. I think any remaining movement in them will be addressed (and corrected) by the roof decking.

Attachment 45148

Decisions, decisions...well, I'm heading back out there to get more done. There's plenty of daylight left...

- Marty -
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 11-30-2006 at 7:45 PM.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    Stu,

Given that you posted that question at 10:30 my time, I was not only up, but up on the trusses working...for about THREE HOURS already! I ain't no slacker...

- Marty -
    What, you sleep....?

Just teasing Marty, have a good day/night whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    I created a ramp out of a pair of 16' 2x4's. I shot a nail through a scrap of 2x6 into the shop floor. The scrap acted as a stop block for the 2x4's. Then all I had to do was push the sheets up the ramp, climbing the ladder as I progressed.
    Huh, that is a cool idea. I don't think it'll work with your roof deck though, as it's a lot higher off the ground.

How are you getting plywood up there? I guess you could set up your scaffold as a sort of half-way point -- toss a bunch up to the scaffold, stand them on end, and then get on the roof and pull them up?