Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth of a shop

Rasing 10' high 64' long sheathed walls...(cont'd)...

Ok, so here's how the jacks got mounted to the deck:

Attachment 42587

I used 12d duplex nails and made sure I hit an I-Joist with three of the six. There's a bracket that gets slipped under the top plate and nailed in with five 16d nails. I didn't get a shot of that, but can and will on the next wall.

Here's some of the insurance and bracing I had in place and ready:

Attachment 42588

Before we raised the wall, I attached a pair of 16' 2x6's to the end of the top plate, pointing towards the back of the shop, with 3" lag bolts. I didn't tighten the lags all way, so that the 2x6's would follow the wall being lifted. Once the wall was vertical, I added three more lags directly into the LVL beams.

Attachment 42589

It turns out that this insurance wasn't necessary, but it was cheap and easy so I did it anyway. I took some 4' scraps of 2x12, backed it with 1/2" OSB and lag bolted it to the LVL beams. I originally attached them with four 3" lags, but then added two 5" lags just to be safe. I thought if my metal straps somehow failed, these boards would stand a chance of keeping the wall from sliding off the deck. In the end, my metal straps did their jobs perfectly!!! They not only kept the wall from sliding off the deck, but they also positioned the wall exactly where I needed it to be since I attached them when I had the dry line in place before I started framing.

This is a REALLY neat feature of these jacks. They have built in adjustable wall stops:

Attachment 42590

You set the stop according to the height of your wall. As you're cranking on the cum-along, the wall will reach the stop and you can't crank anymore. In fact, it was a bit un-nerving since the wall kept moving after our last crank, but all it did was flop onto the stops. Turns out I measured and adjusted the stops pretty well since the wall is almost dead on plumb. I'll tweak it later, but for now it's pretty dang close.

Well folks, there you have it. I have to admit, I was a little nervous framing the walls as one piece monsters. But I knew I had a backup plan if the jacks failed.

I have to get back out there now and attach my outside and inside braces...(although those jacks are holding the walls steady as can be!). Once I have the braces in place, I'll finish attaching the Tyvek around the window and door openings.

Then tomorrow, I sheath the back wall, Tyvek it, and get to use the jacks again.

Here's to not having to use a backup plan:

Attachment 42591

- Marty (and Denise) -
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 11-30-2006 at 7:45 PM.

Bravo, Marty!
    Only the Blue Roads

got the roof on yet?
    way to go man i can hear the joy/relief in your typing! congratulations! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

WOW Marty thats great. "Don't you love it when a plan comes together."

Okie dokie...that was kewel! Congrats on the first wall! (And get a lot of extra bracing on them in case of storms... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Never had a doubt the jacks would do it as I know what they are and have used them. Great job Marty!!

A little tip on mounting them to the floor.
    Take an offcast 2x10 and screw the jacks to them, then nail or screw the 2x to the floor.
    The jacks get beat up, twisted and bent when nailing the foots directly to the floor, prying them off, etc.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    ...Here's proof that the excavator isn't needed...and I'm not as crazy as some of you thought...
    I dunno, Marty...you're probably as crazy as I think you are, but you're also darned good. Great job on the wall-raising, and we'll all be staying tuned for further updates. You've got a bunch of us hooked on the story like housewives watching soap operas (eating bon-bons on the sofa, of course).

Keep up the good work -

- Vaughn

Marty - It's amazing what you can do with digital photos!

Bravo!!!! Now about those trusses......

BTW the shorts are cute. I'm sure with a fresh coat of red nail polish you'll be the talk of the town!

Hey there, "LOOKIN' GOOD", Marty. Glad it worked out Real Well. I'll Second Jim's advise about LOTS of braces, since ALL the Heavy Steel Structure fell down when the wind came up in the afternoon, (and not a very high wind either), on a Large Municipal Arena building that is under construction about 30 miles north of us two days ago and 5 workers were injured. They said it wasn't that the wind was so strong, but that it just blew in exactly the right direction and at the right time to put the most stress on the framing at the then current state of erection. It kinda went like dominos, and "ALL the STEEL" will have to be removed, most base pilings reworked, etc, and the Structural Erection was Nearly completed, sans quite a bit more bracing members before "Skinning" & Insulation).

Just Keep on Keeping On.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Excellent.

nuff said....
    Bartee Lamar

How cool IS THAT?!?! I agree with everyone else. brace to the floor on the inside, brace to the ground on the outside. I know you are going to do the other long wall first before you do the 2 shorter walls (notice I didn't say short walls!) so you don't have that extra stability as you go.
    Keep it hummin'. It's looking great! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Marty - It's amazing what you can do with digital photos!

Bravo!!!! Now about those trusses......

BTW the shorts are cute. I'm sure with a fresh coat of red nail polish you'll be the talk of the town!
    Hey now Mike,

Don't be picking on my Daisy Dukes...

- Marty -

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The warnings to add extra bracing aren't needed, since that's what I've just spent the last few hours doing. After I get that back wall raised, I'm going to be working under those walls doing the side wall framing. I *KNOW* how dangerous that is, so I'm going overboard bracing.

I have those end braces going right to the outside beams...I've added three braces running from inside the door opening and two of the windows openings. Those braces are lag bolted to 2x4's that I drove three feet into the dirt.

I'll be adding two more inside braces from the window openings to the deck...just in case.

It's cocktail time...
    - Marty -

As the Shop Turns

OK, I'm hooked. I logged in from the airport just to checked if you posted an update.

Great job. I'm ready for the next installment.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    Hey now Mike,

Don't be picking on my Daisy Dukes...

- Marty -

MY EYES! MY EYES!!! THEY ARE BURNING!!!!!!!