Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth of a shop

Marty,

I know that you said it's "not the way you do business" however, I would seriously consider filing a report with the appropriate authorities. You don't have to ask them to investigate and press charges but have the report on file. I'm sure you are thinking, why. The reason is you intent to dock the contractor's pay for the damages. If the contractor decides to take you to court over it (I doubt he will but I have seen stupider things done), having the vandalism on file with the authorities documenting the whens, whys, and wherefores will significantly help. The longer you wait, the more you give the contractor the wherewithall to claim it was not his crew but vandalism by others and, potentially, reach 'reasonable doubt' with a given set of your 'peers'.

BTW, I have followed this thread consistently without comment as there were plenty of others cheering you on but let me take this opportunity to say WELL DONE! I can only hope to have as nice a shop some day.

Chip Charnley

Marty

I've been reading every day and glowing a faint green with envy. Great work.

I can see what the big deal is. Personally I would not pay the contractor a cent until you have been able to redo the porch and have kept a good log of the time and materials involved. It does not matter who on his crew did this - somebody on his crew did this and it is his responsibility to deal with the actions of his crew. I also agree with Chip that this needs to be notified to the authorities or you need to get the contractor to sign to say that he accepts full responsibility for the vandalism of his crew and that he will accept a fair deduction based on the cost of rectifying it. Frankly if it had been mine he would be wearing at least some of the lumber from the porch by now so you are a more restrained man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    That's treated lumber...there is a compatibility issue with most common fasteners due to the chemicals in it. For that reason alone, it probably needs to be replaced. If it were one fastener, well...less of an issue; a lot of fasteners as it is as well as all the hammer marks--it really sucks. But more importantly, Marty took a lot of time and effort to create the railing with a "clean" look and that misguided individual, in effect, stole it from him. I know I'd be pretty bent about this, too...
    Thanks Jim,

You put it quite well. I'll be replacing the rails and trying to fix the post once they're gone. But for now, I have to get out there since they're up on the roof nailing down the last few squares of shingles.

- Marty -

Marty,

Had to calm down before I responded to this travesty. Castration, hanging or a good rear end kicking are called for, but calmer heads prevail and your path to solution is the correct one. By the way, I am all for the corporal punishment called for by Tod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Marty

I've been reading every day and glowing a faint green with envy. Great work.

I can see what the big deal is. Personally I would not pay the contractor a cent until you have been able to redo the porch and have kept a good log of the time and materials involved. It does not matter who on his crew did this - somebody on his crew did this and it is his responsibility to deal with the actions of his crew. I also agree with Chip that this needs to be notified to the authorities or you need to get the contractor to sign to say that he accepts full responsibility for the vandalism of his crew and that he will accept a fair deduction based on the cost of rectifying it. Frankly if it had been mine he would be wearing at least some of the lumber from the porch by now so you are a more restrained man than I.
    Chip and Ian,

Under 'normal' circumstances, I'd agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion about getting this on record and filed. But the way I've handled this transaction (and do whenever I have the chance) is with a handshake and my word. There's no contract in place, heck there's never been anything written on a piece of paper from the contractor or myself. It can be a risky way of doing business, but downhome country folk understand the value of their word. If this guy did ANYTHING to sour the deal, he'd have to move very far away to ever make another dime in revenue. And he knows that...

Now to maintain my restrain and close the deal since they're close to being finished. I just saw one of the crew doing a final cleanup of the site.

Wish me luck...
    - Marty -

6. Good Luck, you, have earned some!

Well, the roofers are done and gone. We handled things just as I expected them to be handled. I came up with a figure that would appease me, and he agreed to it with no questions...in fact with another apology for his crew.

I asked that he come back with a stack of business cards, since I would have no issue recommending him to someone I know that needs a roof. He did a very good job, showed up when he said he would, was quick, and had his crew clean up thoroughly before leaving. We had a small hiccup, and he dealt with it promptly and like a man of his word.

Too bad we can't ALL deal with our word and a handshake. I sure do love living in the country...

Living and working in the SHADE of my shop from now on...
    - Marty -

Good result Marty - now get back out there - I can't wait to see you start moving machines in!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Good result Marty - now get back out there - I can't wait to see you start moving machines in!
    Ian,

Well, the 'relatively short' list still has the following on it that has to be completed before I get to roll anything into the shop:

- Install gable end sheathing
    - Install remaining windows
    - Finish installing remaining Tyvek
    - Install garage (loading dock) door (contracted out...yikes!!! )
    - Install electrical service including lighting
    - Decide on and install siding and trim
    - Decide on and install fascia and soffits
    - Build interior walls
    - Install interior doors
    - Decide on and install flooring
    - Decide on and install interior surfaces (sheetrock or ply/osb)
    - Paint interior

There are a few more 'incidentals' that I didn't bother listing, like dust collection, ducting, insulation, etc. Those are the main items...

That should keep me busy for a while, huh? I might be able to cheat and get some equipment in before the entire list is done. But obviously I have to get power out there first!

Thanks for following...
    - Marty -

Nicely handled, Marty! It still sucks but it was dealt with and you appear as satisfied as the situation allows...move on and keep your chin up! You are doing awesome!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

ah-hemmm............pictures?
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    But the way I've handled this transaction (and do whenever I have the chance) is with a handshake and my word. There's no contract in place, heck there's never been anything written on a piece of paper from the contractor or myself. It can be a risky way of doing business, but downhome country folk understand the value of their word.
    - Marty -
    That is also the way that I usually do business. Maybe an estimate and a plan will be put to paper, but seldom what anyone would call a contract.

I've been lucky and have not had anyone deliberatly screw up the work that I have already done on a job. Mistakes have been made on both sides but we have always recovered from them. I certainly hope that it is the last time that it happens to you Marty.

13. There you go, told you that you had earned some good luck!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ah-hemmm............pictures?
    Tod,

I didn't want to waste everyone's time with more pictures. The only difference between the pics I posted last night and any I'd take today is that today's pics would include the ridge vent, and the rear of the roof would be finished.

I can go snap a few if you insist...

- Marty -

God, I LOVE RIDGE VENTS...I CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...POST THE PICS!!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.