Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

My goose is cooked ..
    Used the frying pan from my wife's set of pots and pans (about 15 years old, no longer made exactly like that). Heavy duty stanless steel. Put it on the stove to get it hot, in a hurry so set the heat to high "for just a few seconds" to speed the process. Answered the phone...
    When everything settled down and the smoke cleared the only major damage was to her frying pan. The bottom had popped. It no longer sits flat on the heating element, high viscosity foods poured in tend to run to the edges. Claims uneven heating because of it. Bought another frying pan the same size, but she pointed out it doesn't "match the set". Is there a way to get it flat again?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Hmmm, I think I see a whole new set of matching pots and pans in your future.

new set in future...

of equal or better quality...
    Ned

2B1ASK1

I'd grab a piece of 2x4, a piece of ply a lil bigger than the bottom of the pan, and a BIG hammer. Heat the pan up a bit and using the 2x4 n hammer, beat the snot outt'a the bottom of the pan. It may work, and if not, it'll make ya feel better and ya can't kill it any more.

THEN go buy Momma a new set.....
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Just three words....Lodge Cast Iron!!

Kyle in K'zoo

Oops!! Tricks like that made me get a double electric burner for shop use.
    I used to make shaker boxes and had to steam heat the pieces for wrapping around pattern blocks. She got tired of the messes I created for some reason

wife hitting you in the head with the frying pan might help.
    Mike

I suspect this is going to cost you a big box of All-Clad before you are done. Once a pan gets overheated like that...it's toast...err...you know what I mean.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Right Jim, All-Clad, the Mini-Max of cookware, couldn't you suggest something like Revereware? Sounds like Charlie's wife has picked up on some of our tool tricks.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Charlie, you need to get her a Lifetime Cookware Skillet. The bottom is so thick there's no way you'd warp it. In fact the pan is so straight, if you leave the lid on it while it is cooling down, it will seal and you'll have to heat it up again to get the lid off.

Of course she'd want the entire set.

Yikes! I was hoping for a little... well OK, A LOT of help here! I just googled All Clad and Lifetime Cookware. $900 for the All-Clad and $1,000 for the 9-piece set Lifetime (USED!!). I could buy a bandsaw and jointer for that!

Pots and pans can't really cost that much! I still can't figure out why they have to match. I have Dewalt, B&D, Craftsman, Delta, Grizzly, etc in my shop. They can all get along together. Why can't her stuff learn to just all be friends. A little snobbish if you ask me.

I may try the 2X4 suggestion...
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez
    I still can't figure out why they have to match.
    Trust us.... They have to!!!!!

Sorry but it is toast. You might try checking out Food Network for the line that Emeril Lagasse endorses.Dont know if this helps much. Oh and a trip to the florist and /or jewelers wouldnt hurt.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

I'd have to go with Kyle on this one - cast iron is the way to go for frying pans. Non-stick, easy to clean with just a wipe. LOML doesn't use them, so we have a SS pan for her - it makes her happy.

Just remember to get her what she wants - then take the old set for your projects.

Wes

find a matching one on ebay .

Ive tried beating them flat with minmal succsess .

(you can warp cast iron to just takes a little longer ...)

15. Problem solved

If you take a regular steel wire coat hangar and bend it into a star shape the size of the pan base you can teach her to use it on the burner under the pan. That will lift the pan from direct contact with the element and cause the pan to heat perfetly evenly.

Just don't invite me over the evening you plan to do this.

Note: a Gas range will apply even heat to uneven pans.
    For a gas range think: Comstock Castle : The only company insulating a commercial gas range for residential applications. It may be more pricy than new pans but - - - - -