Thread: Bad News, New Project & PSI

Bad News, New Project & PSI

As some of you know by now, I have snapped a tendon in my wrist and won't be turning for some time to come and then only a limited amount The one thing I intend on doing in my time off though is offering product and website reviews of relevance.

My first review is of the crappy customer service you get from PSI if you order their products through Amazon. The normal genial service you get from them goes out the window if you try and get service from them on any of their products ordered through their amazon store. At first glance Their amazon store is sounds like a much better deal than dealing with them direct for the things they offer. My two reasons were the free shipping and the fact I can do an instant electronic check. If you have ever had a debit card transaction go awry from an online transaction you will understand why I prefer e-checks.

The lathe itself is a great little lathe, despite the fact it arived in less than a pristine conditions with several large paint scratches. the first problem I had was the faceplate was warped. This is no big deal as it is easily remidied and I had no reason to ever use it anyway (I use chuck mounted faceplate rings). The second problem was the tool rest snapped the first decent catch I got while doing a pen no less. So I decided for the sake of argument to call them up and get replacement parts because they normally are very good about such things. What a shock I was in for.

I sent a couple of emails detailing my problems but after 2 weeks not a single a reply. This isn't surprising since I hear about their lousy email service often enough in forums. I am not sure why I am surprised that when i call in with an order they are prompt and take my call immediately, but calling in with a complaint gets you transfered from person to person and disconected twice. Once I finally get through to the right person their sollution to my problem is this. Send them all of my paperwork from amazon and the broken parts. I ask if I fax/email the paperwork and digital photos of the broken parts. Their reply nope not good enough, but couldn't come up with a good reason why, unless it was to foist the broken parts off on someone else I can see no reason to ship them back to PSI so they can decide if they are really broken for themselves. Basicly what the conversation with them boiled down to if you go the cheap route in buying their products and are not willing to spend money via shipping and waste countless weeks on them making a decision on getting parts under warranty then they don't have any desire to honor their warranty. BTW everyone I know who has bought the lathe from PSI directly had no such problems getting replacement parts.

Don't get me wrong the lathe is still a good lathe and well worth the money and is a great alternative to the jet if you can't wait for it to be on sale, just don't count on good CS if you bought through amazon. My solution was simply to add a modular rest post for the sorby rest system I already use, though I could have used any rest with 5/8" post(though the banjo will also securely hold a 1/2" post as well).

My next review will be either the sorby modular rests or tools from soren berger. Later this summer I will be reviewing videos/ dvd's. I will also be buying some more to add to my own collection does anyone have any requests of videos they want to see reviewed, it might just be on my shopping list.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Brad,
    Thanks for the heads-up about Amazon/PSI - I don't think I even knew they sold via Amazon. It shouldn't matter which venue they sold the lathe through, they should honor the warranty though. Were they expecting that you would work through Amazon to resolve the issue?
    Once I got through to a person, I found them to be responsive to my needs - typically sending a return label for the broken piece with the new part. Oh, I had the same experience with their e-mail CS.

Wes

PS - I hope the wrist heals quickly.

Since I've been consdiering the Sorby rests I would love to see a review.

One nice thing about buying PSI through woodturningz is they dealt with PSI until things were resolved.

Thanks for the Amazon heads up.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Hey Brad,

Sorry to hear about the injury ... that pretty much sucks! I can't imagine not being able to go out to the shop and tinker whenever I can scrounge a few minutes.
    Spose we can add your hollowing rig tutorial to the list of things to do while you're laid up???
    Take care of yourself!

Jim V

We all like photos, perhaps you could post some of your turnings while your laid up.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Thanks for the information, Brad. I am very sorry to hear about your problem. Take VERY good care of it.

I used to buy from PSI over the internet, but never through Amazon. One question: Doesn't Amazon offer to handle "early failures?" The would be enough for me to question the savings. I don't have to worry about internet sales any more. My Woodcraft store sells a lot of PSI at the same price as PSI AND they back up their sales. Also, when I'm in Philly, like now, I stop by and look for specials.

One other thing. In the first six months of having my Jet, I broke two tool rests. I was too far towards the end of the rest when the catch happened. I felt it was my fault. I ended up getting a better tool rest, but before that replaced the broken ones without contacting the mfg. The tool rest was a casting rather than machined steel and while cheaper, weak, in my opinion. Going for a more expensive machined rest makes sense in the long run.

As usual, just my .02. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

First, sorry to hear about your accident. Second that sucks on the Lathe. I have the lathe myself and I like it alot. I will no longer buy anything directly from PSI. I buy everything PSI that I can from Woodturningz or Packard Woods. You will get excellent service from either. Hope you heal quickly and get your lathe fixed up!

Corey

Sorry to hear about the tendon Injuries suck, especially soft tissue ones like that.

[psi rant]
    I have had nothing but bad experiences with PSI. I spent weeks trying to get back $50 they owed me.

They lost orders. They didn't return emails or phone calls. One woman was flat out rude to me on the phone. She argued with me about something that was painfully obvious. When I spoke to her supervisor about it, all he had to say was, "Oh yea, she's kind of abrasive." Then why the heck is she dealing with customers?!?

I have managed a business, and I now own one, so I know that things happen. I understand people make mistakes. But when you ignore your customers, have people who are argumentative and rude on the phone and make no apologies for it, that's unacceptable in my book.

I will never, ever, ever, give one penny of my business to PSI again - whether directly or through another vendor.
    [/psi rant]

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    Brad,
    Thanks for the heads-up about Amazon/PSI - I don't think I even knew they sold via Amazon. It shouldn't matter which venue they sold the lathe through, they should honor the warranty though. Were they expecting that you would work through Amazon to resolve the issue?
    Once I got through to a person, I found them to be responsive to my needs - typically sending a return label for the broken piece with the new part. Oh, I had the same experience with their e-mail CS.

Wes

PS - I hope the wrist heals quickly.
    They said they would honor the warranty they had no problem with that but shipping the piece and a signature to confirm they got it would have run be $15 or so and would have taken them 3 to 6 weeks before I got the pieces returned. It was more the principle of the thing. If I had ordered directly from them, and paid them $35 in shipping on the lathe and not made them shell out another $25 in amazon fees they would have sent it too me with no hassel as they usually do. I actually was hoping that amazon would have worked to help me resolve this but as far as they were concerned I should have just paid the money to send the parts back to them. and waited, which wasn't worth it to me, though I now seem to have the time available.

I suppose when I next change the belt I should get some matched bearings just in case those go on me some time in the future.

Since the majority opinion is for a sorby rest review I guess that one will be next.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.