Thread: Waddaya mean 3/16" tennon...??

1. Waddaya mean 3/16" tennon...??

OK, I admit it, I screwed it up, but now I do know how it is done........

Attachment 39294

Red Keyaki Mount Blanc style.

I did not understand how the ring is supposed to go on a 3/11" tenon, color me stu-pid

This one will get use in my daily work.

More to come!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:23 AM.

Good looking pen Stu Isn't turning just so much fun............
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Hey Stu!

I bet ya that one will get used until you make an even better pen. That's what I'm finding. Another problem I'm finding is when you use the pen and a friend sees it, then you end up walking away without your pen and you have to make another.

BTW, I made these four zebrawood pens for a local hospital charity silent auction thing. Two rollerball and two fountain pens. One of each cut with a straight grain and the other pair cut on a bias. They raised $170 for the hospital so that's cool. My prototype zebrawood rollerball was given to a friend after she saw it. Now I'm carrying a lacewood rollerball but I don't expect to be keeping that one for more than a couple weeks.

Cheers,

Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    OK, I admit it, I screwed it up, but now I do know how it is done........

Attachment 39294

Red Keyaki Mount Blanc style.

I did not understand how the ring is supposed to go on a 3/11" tenon, color me stu-pid

More to come!

Cheers!
    I think Corey might be able to answer that one for you .
    Be Blessed

George

Way to go Stu. I'm with Allan. I can't remember where all my pens went. You just see the look in their eyes...whoosh...it's gone!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice Stu! Nice job buddy!

Corey

7. The NEXT one can go like that, but this one has a fatal flaw, so I'll keep it, but yeah, I hear you.

We go thru pens at work like crazy, but if I give my wife one of these, I sure hope she will hang on to it.

Got to find someone who does lazer engraving locally, as I'd love to give some away with names on them.

Cheers!

Oh boy, I felt a rumble in the Vortex....Then I see Stu is doing pens......Tokyo will now be clear cut for blanks!!!!

Looks good for the first Stu - one word of advice on pens - read the DIRECTIONS..... Okay, that was three words

Seriously, you are in all the way now! Keep the pics coming.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Great job Stu. Nice looking pen. I have your wood glued up and hope to turn them this weekend.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stu,

When turning the pens requiring a tenon, if your bushings come with the loose ring like the euro ones do, here is a simple tip:

When you mount the blanks put the ring on the middle bushing on the top end. It will sit there spinning but once you're down near the tenon size use your parting tool and begin to turn the tenon, the little ring will begin the climb on the tenon, then you will know EXACTLY howthin to make it AND how long ! This worked perfectly for me on the euros I made a while back. Give it a try.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

11. Thanks for the tip Keith!

I turned another pen this morning, out of Red Keyaki, sorry I don't have a pic, my lovely wife has already removed it from my possession.....

I think I had it for 5 minutes...