Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far should one go for family?

How far should one go for family?

My sister and BIL summer here while living in Arizona the rest of the year.

Here they host weddings and stuff on a rural property. Well today my BIL called me up and asked if I would help him out on a few projects.

“Hey bro, no problem, what?”

Well it turns out he wants me to help him tomorrow reroofing a building with steel, and on Friday he wants me to help him pour and finish substantial yardage of flatwork!!!

So one day higher than anybody should rightfully be, and the next, groveling in the mud.

Now I’ve worked all my life trying to get a job I could perform in a dignified upright position, and now this!

What should I say?

Thanking you in advance,
    Frank

Glad I am not in yor shoes. If the BIL has a habit of using people the answer is easy, otherwise I might think about moving or getting some knee pads. Good luck
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

My late dad taught us long ago that if we all worked together things would be a whole lot easier. With his guidance, prodding and plain bossing through out the years my brother, two sisters and their spouses along with me and my wife have been able to build our homes and take care of just about everything in putting together a maintaining and homestead ourselves without taking out a mortgage. This includes pouring concrete, roofing, sewer lines etc.

We have all helped each other do anything that needed to be done, this is all done not worrying about who has done what or received the most help. Our main concern is taking care of the problem not "what have you done for me" and in most instances no one has to ask for the help because we all try and stay in touch with each other and find out whats happening in our lives.

I will say this however, I wish I knew how my dad ingrained the "family first" attitude into us because try as we might, we (my siblings and I) haven't been able to get our kids to understand the value (and I'm not talking financial) of family and they were all raised watching and working along side of us.
    David

Scott, David,
    Thanks for the advice… knee pads it is!

Frank

Gee......Frank! What can I say....."What goes a ROUND.....comes a ROUND!" Buy the expensive knee pads......you're gonna kneed them!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree with Scott. If he's a user, than the answer is no. But if it's an honest request, I'd be there.

Yup DD, if we indeed work together, you'd be surprised what can be accomplished. Remember the barn raising days? Well I don't cause I live in Hawaii and we don't have many barns, but you get the point.

Even for family it sound like Bil is asking a lot. I would never ask anyone to help me with large jobs like that no matter what. I might say that we should put it off untill we can hire a couple of guys to help us out and go from there. And that is only if he is a nice guy. If he is in a habit of this sort of thing without any pay back I would tell him how you feel. That should not hurt his feelings if he is so bold as to request such a thing.

Good luck! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-24-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Guess I'd be digging my knee pads out.

Lets see.....family.....needs help.....asks me ..........I help.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

10. Frank, I'd be there with bells on, even if the BIL is not the greatest guy, why?

Well, aside from my lovely wife and two daughters I have no family around at all, they are all way far away in Canada (37 cousins last time I could remember them all). I very much value family, so I'd do it, just because it is the right thing to do.

Knee pads help a lot, and for the roofing stuff, suntan lotion, and LOTS of water are good too.

Your Sis and BIL are lucky to have you!

Cheers!

Family first.

Friends second.

Can you rent a finishing machine for the large pour?

Oh, water and knee pads too.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho,
    It’s off to work we go….

An admission is due here…I actually didn’t hesitate to volunteer my services, because family is family, friends are friends; and both give meaning and purpose to our lives.

I had hoped though that there would be at least one Creeker agreeing that I should be offered a somewhat more dignified position… say that of project photographer, or even waterboy.

Thanks anyway everybody.
    Frank

family or friend, if help`s needed even cleaning an outhouse i`ll jump in....the key word being "help" , i`ll expect the one asking to be knee deep right along side me...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

How about this...

Take your camera and stop a lot to "document" the progress. Then you could offer to bring a cup of water to others. Then remember to take the water jug somewhere and refill it. Then remember to go to the store to get ice. Then give them another cup of water and take the lunch order. Go and get lunch. So after lunch and a few more pictures and water runs you might need to clean up the scraps around and haul them off.....

Hope this helps

15. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    family or friend, if help`s needed even cleaning an outhouse i`ll jump in....the key word being "help" , i`ll expect the one asking to be knee deep right along side me...02 tod
    Boy is that the truth Tod.

Frank, I sure hope you don't get roped into running the job...