Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.D. help please.....

I.D. help please.....

A few years ago we got a starter package of shrubs when we built our house. My wife can remember all the rest of the stuff we got but cannot remember what this was. It has done well where we planted it in the open. It has long thorns on the limbs. Wifey says thanks to you in advance for helping her ID this.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Attached Images Attached Images

No doubt about it! It's a bush. With green and red leaves. Looks to be doing well, too! (Hey, I never said I was one 'o dose antithropoligist kind of guys!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    No doubt about it! It's a bush. With green and red leaves. Looks to be doing well, too! (Hey, I never said I was one 'o dose antithropoligist kind of guys!)
    I am just an old farm boy John,even got me a degree from a college in agriculture but I think the word you are looking for is an arborist not a antithropoligist.....I don't think that is even a word.

Looks like poison ivy to me!!

...maybe I should cut off a hunk and turn a pen with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    I am just an old farm boy John,even got me a degree from a college in agriculture but I think the word you are looking for is an arborist not a antithropoligist.....I don't think that is even a word.
    "Arborist"??? Don't them folks work on the shipping docs or sumfin' like that??? Oh well...I still think it looks like a bush! (OK, now that I've used my last brain cell, it's off to bed I go, to see if I can shake off whatever the heck is wrong with me!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Just kidding............

I have no idea what it is??

Steve,
    That is the finest specimen of Subbliminus Arborspinnerous I have ever seen!

Caution is advised Steve, as being in proximity to such a plant will cause one to take up lathe work regardless of one’s consciously chosen direction in life.

Frank

We also have an unidentified thorny bush (a high hedge) in our yard. The Sawmill Creek TOS prohibit me from typing the name I have given this bloodsucking abomination of a plant. You can just look at the thing and get bloody arms.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    No doubt about it! It's a bush.
    It's not a bush at all John, it is in fact "shrubbery".

Steve, your plant is a Hawthorne, most likely Washington Hawthorne from the appearance of the leaves. These get really nasty, long thorns that love to puncture tires and your skin. They make a great hedge, and have decent fall color and a red berry the birds like. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady had these surrounding her backyard, to keep the kids from cutting across her lawn. Ya know...........it WORKED!

Vaughn, I was noticing your new signature. Looks like you're getting broken in fairly well there.

I.D. help please.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gerstenecker
    Steve, your plant is a Hawthorne, most likely Washington Hawthorne from the appearance of the leaves. These get really nasty, long thorns that love to puncture tires and your skin. They make a great hedge, and have decent fall color and a red berry the birds like. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady had these surrounding her backyard, to keep the kids from cutting across her lawn. Ya know...........it WORKED!
    If it is a WA Hawthorne it should get white flowers in June.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks guys!

Hawthorne does ring a bell now that you guys mention it. It hasn't gotten any flowers yet and has been in the ground here since '99 so it may require more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Vaughn, I was noticing your new signature. Looks like you're getting broken in fairly well there.
    But he's only got it half right. I have it on good authority that the correct phrase is:
    "Yes dear, anything you say dear."

BTW, I still say it's shrubbery...