Thread: Please help- Sofa Table Wood Movement

Please help- Sofa Table Wood Movement

I'd planning to build a sofa or console table with a simple, shaker-style design. The legs and apron will be maple, but I would like to do something different with the top. I want to do a figured maple top with a cherry edge. The cherry would be mitered all around the top, and would be cove'd with a large radius to lighten the overall look.

My question is about wood movement. I'm concerned about the cherry trim glued to the maple endgrain. I considered making the top frame and panel, but I prefer a smooth top. Breadboard ends also would solve the problem, but again, I hoped to avoid a "line" between the maple and cherry.

Do I have to resort to making a veneered maple top glued to a stable substrate (mdf or plywood)? Or am I being overly cautious and should make it with solid wood and glue it up normally.

Any opinions, ideas or suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks,
    Bob

bob, anytime you apply crossgrain banding you`re looking for trouble! it cannot be glued solid or it will fail, no exceptions when dealing with the width of even a sofa table. if you must use banding to achieve the look you desire veneer is the only answer i`m aware of...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.