Thread: Graco HVLP and general HVLP question

Graco HVLP and general HVLP question

Good afternoon to all!
    I just purchased a Graco 4900 4 stage HVLP turbine unit. I bought it from Craig's List here locally and I think I got a very good deal. It appears to be in excellent condition; used only once by a professional painter who had a cabinet job to do when his primary work is house painting. He really needed the money and parted with it very reasonably.

I would like to know if there are Graco HVLP users out there and if they have any hints, ideas, thoughts, etc. regarding how to get the best out of this unit. For example, the manual says that you thin until the material dripping off a stick drops about once per second. Wouldn't one of those cups with a hole in it be more precise? What do you strain stuff with? So many questions; so little brain.

Secondly, does anyone know of a video that might help me get started on HVLP techniques? I am really, really new at this. My previous efforts at spraying were centered around about a dozen cans of Deft laquer.

I know that Jim uses Target water-born coatings. I would be very interested in his chiming in with recommendations, places to buy, etc. I tend to think water-born to keep from blowing myself up. I don't have a spray-booth. This will be done in my garage (I mean workshop).

Thanks a lot.
    Warren White

No help on the graco. But go down where they sell automotive paint and pick up a bag of paint strainers.

Hey Warren,

I can't help you with the Graco though I do own a 4 stage Fuji and most every 4 stage is virtually the same escept for the gun (not sure what set up yours is whether it's gravity feed, pressure feed/pot, or bleeder gun and you did not mention what tip size/air cap you have).
    Good advice would be to pick up Andy Charrons book "Spray finishing" which has great info. on all types of equipment and technique. Additionally pay a visit to Target Coatings Website and forum http://www.targetcoatings.com/ for question and info. about their products. I've used them for a while and will likely be switching over all of my finsihing needs to waterborne systems from them where possible since I too have no spray booth and spray in my shop (spraying is also far quicker that handfinishing for most of my work). Jeff Weiss is a great guy and very knowledgeable about spray finishing and has excellent products.
    Last edited by Matt Tawes; 05-25-2006 at 9:12 AM.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

More Advice

You might try the "Finishing" forum on the WOODWEB site. Graco is a popular sprayer brand and the pros over there may very well have some hands-on advice on your particular model.
    David

I don't know anything about Graco or Turbine units

I have a P-C conversion gun. One thing I would recommend. Get some large pieces of cardboard. Put some water (if the gun is OK with water based finishes) and/or paint thinner. Spray away Just play with it trying to get even coverage and not so much material that it runs. Experimenting with various adjustments and their effect can teach a lot and doesn't cost much. Then try some finishes on scrap, not on the curly cherry chest you'd just spent 6 months on

There are books and maybe videos out there. Bob Flexner and Andy Charron(sp?) come to mind. HTH

Curt

Spraying In General

I second the recomendation for Andy's book and Michael Dresdner has a video (from Taunton?) that demonstrates spray techniques. Go to the Target Coatings web site and check out the link to Jerry Work's tutorial on spraying (HVLP) Target Coating products. Go to Jeff Jewitt's website and hang out there. Same for WOODWEB. Spraying (HVLP or conventional) isn't a difficult thing to learn, mostly has a few "rules" and then just practice. Read the gun literature and read the literature on the particular finish for particular rules. Some general rules are: 1) Hold the gun around 8" or so away from the item to be sprayed. Most new guys tend to hold it too far away. 2) Hold the gun, as best possible, at 90* to the item to be sprayed. Angled pattern lays a heavier coat on one side of the pattern. 3) Keep the gun moving steadily across or up/down the item (constant rate) and don't release the trigger until you have gone past the item completely. 4) Overlap each pass by about 1/3 to 1/2 of the previous pass. 5) Spray light coats, get a mil gauge to understand what "2-3" mils actually looks like. Most new guys spray too heavy a coat. Or, after laying on a light coat, step back and say "doesn't look like I put much on, I'll just go over it again to make sure" and then end up with a thick coat that doesn't want to dry for love nor money. Best of luck.
    David

Steve, Matt, David and Kurt,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I am sure that this set-up is a lot smarter than I am (which isn't saying much).

I won't be able to use it for a while, as I am waiting on two parts that were lost when it was cleaned by the previous owner. Nothing major at all, but necessary.

In answer to Matt: The gun came with 5 tips and needles and is a non-bleeder cup fed gun.

I really appreciate the suggestions, and I will follow through on each. I want to get started on this as soon as I can.

Thanks again!
    Warren