Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood dust & lungs ?

I have an old "This Old House" magazine with an interview with our beloved Norm Abram. Apparently he had chronic sinus problems ultimately leading to surgery due to wood dust. Now he takes the topic of dust control more seriously.

Cheers,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    http://www2.tulane.edu/article_news_...ArticleID=6535

Tulane U. article on wood dust and lungs. They say it's no big deal.
    cough cough

Of course I haven't read the research so I can't opine but the Tulane folks aren't dummies.
    Yah Right!

And I will bet the farm that most of these guys would be lost at the door of any wood shop.

Furthermore, its not the sawdust that causes cancer and other lung related ailments. Rather, its the chemistry attached to each minute particle. So for example, MDF sawdust contains a variable cocktail of stuff. Other woods like Gonglavo Alvis (sp?) can actually induce respritory failure! Other woods can throw you into an alergic attack like a bee sting.

The smaller the particle, the deeper the particle can travel into your lungs unabated. But also, the smaller the particle, the more surface area this particle has. So its a double whammy. That extra surface area aides in rapid transfer of the residual chemistry straight into your blood stream. And the transport of that chemistry to the brain is effectively instanteous. That is why crack heads like to puff on the glass pipe.

Folks your playing with a loaded gun here. Just as the cigarette companies denied that smoking can cause lung cancer, so we have a similar argument formulating here. It is but a fool who will use this article to argue against the purchase of a good dust collection and supression system.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

All I know is when I work with Cherry, I get a lasting cough that lingers. Right now, I got careless and forgot to wear the mask and yes, I'm coughing for a few days but its easing up. I have a healthy respect for Wood Dust. Someday, I'll upgrade to a cyclone...
    Jerry