Thread: Where to get help w/ turning?

Where to get help w/ turning?

I have made maybe 1/2 dozen pens that came out good but must admit don't know the correct turning techniques. I basically used a full sized gouge for mose of the work. I just bought a pen turners set w/ a small gouge but it's still not going a easy as expected (tool bounces a little, sometimes digs...).

Is there a book or video on how to do basic turning?

Best of all is to locate a local turning club and get hands-on instruction from an experienced turner. There's nothing like watching an experienced turner to gain helpful tips but then you still need to practice what you learn. Check out the AAW web site at:

http://www.woodturner.org/

and do a search for clubs in your area. Also, a free pen turning video which could be helpful is available from Penn State Industries (PSI) at the following link:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/_free-dvd.html

It takes practice.. alot of practice. get some scrap stock that you can practice makiing round and taking down and putting the shapes you want on them. Nothing wrong with using larger gouges. I use a 3/4 roughing gouge to do the bulk of my pen turning with then I turn to a 1/2 spindle gouge to finish with and sometimes the skew. Personally I do not like the pen sized turning tools. To small for me to be comfortable at the lathe. I use full sized tools.
    Go to the woodworking channel and look for the Woodworking At Home Series on Turning with Dick Sing. He has become one of my favorite turners. Look for the episode Turning with gouges. He gives some excellent instruction on using gouges and you will learn alot! There is also one on using the Parting Tool that was on this morning and is on later today and also a sharpening show. I don't see the Gouges show on the schedule for today.. keep watching for it.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 10-29-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Many experienced penturners use a large skew for most of the actual turning. PM me for some links to penturning forums.

I found that when I started seeing an improvement was after I read Richard Raffan's book Turning Wood all the way through... it is really good and I learned a lot from it.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Woodcraft can be a great place to take a class. I found it money well spent.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Mike, I'm in the same boat. Go to the AAW site and look up a turning club in your area. Theres one that meets at the WC by me, but I missed the meeting last weekend because everyone in my family was sick and I was playing nurse. Argh.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

That issue I mentioned earlier is on the Woodworking Channel:
    http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
    Tommorrow at 9:30 AM Woodworking At Home - Issue 8 Turning With Gouges. It runs once or twice every 24-48 Hours. It is worth catching it.

Corey

Got this video on basic pen turning and it helped me turn out a really good pen on the first try.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Video.htm

Lots of info on the entire process from drilling the blanks, all the way through the process of finishing.

Mike..........You might try some videos...........FWW......Richard Raffan...."Turning Wood".........Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy"

Lessons either at a local Woodcraft Store or by members of a local turning club would be a good place to start.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Corey is right on with the video on the Woodworking Channel! I just watched it and it has tons of great info!