Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning blanks exchange!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    No-o-o-o-o-o...This is a foot:
    Attachment 39451

What we have here, is a wood blank exchange. Come on, Stu. Get it right!!!

You alll know that I'm not a turner so............what type of chuck do you use for a foot?

Last edited by Mark Rios; 06-25-2006 at 3:36 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    You alll know that I'm not a turner so............what type of chuck do you use for a foot?
    A sock or sandal chuck.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I'm looking for some Aspin like what Lee had gotten in the Dirty turning event. I'd like to do about a six to seven inch bowl. . I have pecan, sweetgum, Spalted Oak, Red Oak, Live Oak and Southern Pine to swap. Any takers?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    I'm looking for some Aspin like what Lee had gotten in the Dirty turning event.
    You might try PM/email to Joe Melton, find out where he got the blank he sent me. It's good stuff.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Turning Blank Exchange - cocobola Pen Planks!

I have a few (probably 10) cocobola turning "sticks" each about 2 feet long by 3/4" square, rough sawn not loinyed and planed ... from Mitch talcove of Tropical Exotic Hardwoods. These blanks are left from when I did pens (quit after I sold number 10,000). Will exchange for bowl or spindle stock ... looking for especially thick spindle stock ot highly figured 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 . Blanks are in Indianapolis, IN.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick Gerard
    AAW #00013
    "Close Enough Isn't; Good Enough Isn't; It's Only Wood!"

Swap meet or feet ????

You guys are funny ....
    I just recently purchased walnut tree , limbs,trunk , and stump, been down about 3 years but the guy that sawed it up did not dry it properly, would be intrested in swap . Here in North Idaho we is mostly pineing away for something other than cedar.No toe jam but we do make a mean huckleberry jelly ................ and yes thanks for the advice on the yew wood I cleaned up my gouge and stole the vari amp off my shaper to slow down the lathe to a reasonable speed , it went much better. Additon of NOVA G3 also helped....Now wife happy. See, even 57 year old machinists can learn a thing or two...
    John 3:16

Need Christmas Ornament Globe blanks

Creekers,
    My assignment from my beuatiful, talented and generous wife is to turn at least 50 Christmas Ornaments for her staff at the school and parish. She likes the Dick Sing style globe and finial style. I have been cutting scraps and stock into blanks and started practicing with homemade hollowing tools. I think I got the process down but I need to add a little variety to the materials. The globe blank needs to be 2.25 to 2.5 square and a 6 inch long piece will yield 2 globes. I have alot of curly maple, a little each of cherry, walnut and mahogany. If someone could add to my assortment I would be happy to trade platter blanks of walnut. I was fortunate enough to steal (really I purchased it at an auction but I am sure St. Peter is going to want to talk to me about this someday) an abundance of 2" thick rough sawn black walnut, dry and wide. Makes great platters. I'll band saw some rounds and ship them to someone who can help. I will cut to fit the capacity of your lathe. The better the help the wider the platter blanks I will trade.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Anyone still doing the blank exchange, i have some bermuda cedar and austrailian cypress pen blanks, anything sent to me will go to my canadian address.

Hey andy, anyone do anything with the stuff i gave you at christmas, any pics?
    johnnyinnb
    He`s a block off the old chip