Thread: Where to place router lift in UniSaw bed?

Where to place router lift in UniSaw bed?

I have a UniSaw with the 52" Unifence, and am installing a Woodpecker router lift. I've never owned/used a router table. So I'd appreciate some feedback regarding the placement of the cutout for the lift in the table.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
    Thomas

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thomas, you could look at some after market tables for an idea. http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=616
    I have the Woodhaven table, it’s very well made.

If your Uni is right-tilt, just make sure that you put the cutout far enough out that you will still be able to open the motor cover.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    My saw is left tilt with no motor cover on the left. My overarm dust collector/guard 'booms' in from the right so after I mounted it, I chose the left. This also means that the feed diredtion of my TS and router table are the same. I used to have the router on the right but with my shop layout the left side worked better. I use the same outfeed table for TS and RT that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

It's an older right tilt unit. I probably should have been more specific with the question.

The idea is whether to put it close to the far end (furthest from the blade) and be able to feed stock from the end, or put it more towards the middle? I have the UniGuard so it will interfere with feeding stock from the end unless it's lowered out of the way.

The other thought is having it mounted 'forward,' more toward the fence support rail so there's less bending over when accessing the lift, as compared to centered front to back in the table?

Just trying to avoid cutting a hole then realizing 'oops' over there would have been better.....

So again, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
    Thomas

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thomas, nothing more than gut feeling here, but for strength & rigidity, I would think that the middle (front to back) would be best location. Unfortunately, you will be doing a fair amount of bending over when using the router in a table saw setup.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

i've recently installed a new router - woodpecker insert -- in my unisaw/50"/left tilt. I put it to far right and centered and i stand at the end of the table when using it. It's worked out well for me.

My setup is the same as Bob's above. I have a right tilt unisaw with 50" fence. Have the router mounted to the far right (about 14 inches from the end of table) and I stand at the end of the table when using it. Works great.

Bob

Okay thanks, that's two votes for 'toward' the end of the table.

Now for a few questions to show how truly ignorant I really am.....

Did either of you reinforce the underneath side of the table? It was suggested I add a layer of 3/4" material to stiffen the bed, due to the weight of the router assembly.

Finally, when one makes the cutout, is it a good idea to coat the edges of the exposed wood with a layer of epoxy or something similar? It appears to me that little balls on the Woodpecker plate that put pressure on the sides of the opening, will tear-out the wood if the plate is removed very often?

Thanks again,
    Thomas
    Last edited by Thomas Wa; 05-26-2006 at 7:52 PM.

Thomas,
    First let me say there are many different ways to do the same thing in woodworking. The side table that I added to the Unisaw for the router table is 27 inches X 48 inches. My router (PC 7518) and lift (JessEm Mast-R-Lift) weights 24 1/2 pounds. With this much weight I felt I needed additional support underneath the table. I glued 5 cross braces under the table. The ones that fit above the motor cover are 1" X 1 3/4" X 27". The ones that the open motor cover (remember my saw is right tilt) doesn't interfere with are 1" X 2 1/2" X 27". I have a cross brace on each side of the cut out for the plate. So far with this set up I have no sag in the table from the weight of the router. I don't really know if all this additional support was necessary but better safe than sorry.

Bob