Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please show me your workbench(es)

Please show me your workbench(es)

Hello folks,

my former main work bench (beginner’s grade Sjöbergs, nothing really great) has been abused as a storage place for wood for several months now. As a consequence I only used the front wise and work that required more space was done on the floor or on saw horses.
    I know that I need to find a better place to store my wood but this isn’t the topic of this thread.
    What I’d like to know is what you guys use as your main workbench. A traditional woodworking bench, a sturdy assembly table, a …? What are the pros and the cons?

Right know I can think of two options:
    A) Get rid of the Sjöbergs and build a heavy-duty traditional-style woodworkers’ bench.
    B) Get rid of the Sjöbergs and build a sturdy mobile workbench equipped with a front wise and Veritas clamping stuff.
    Please note, my shop is small and will get “even smaller” due to additional tools and although I like handtools I don’t think I’ll become a Neander any time soon.

Thanks in advance.

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1120001195

Christian, here is my workbench. Made of red oak, I can wheel it in the corner or anywhere I want. For me it works great. Since this picture was taken I built drawers in the center where the planer is. Its all finished off. Veritas twin screw vise. I hope this might help.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Here is the top of mine. I since have "beefed" up the undercarriage.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for in a bench Christian, but here is a link to mine with some pictures. It is a brute and can hold up to about anything. Like you..... my shop is small also.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17648

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Murphy

Wow! That's almost too beautiful to use!! Very nice!

Bob
    bob m

Christian,

The workbench I made several years ago is actually just a utility bench and not a true woodworker's bench.
    If I had the chance to do it over again I would certainly make a traditional bench with the Veritas end vise and proper dog holes.

Good Luck!

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

christian, here`s mine. tod

MVC-302S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    christian, here`s mine. tod

Tod, did you make that one? It looks massive, used and cluttered...I like it!

Jeff, it's a shame you couldn't find any good-looking wood for your bench.

- Vaughn

I have two, both purchased, one old and unidentifiable and the other a Diefenbach. Write up on my web site.

Jim

Southern yellow pine construction (read tooby's). And I love it. Only one thing I would change and may someday. I would make the base larger so the drawers could be deeper.

But in my defense when I built it drawers were not even thought of. Just a shelf was all I planned and then I outgrew it and added drawers. And I recommend the drawers too! Still need to build the large bottom drawer.

finished_bench.jpg

Just after I finished the drawers on it. See how clean it is??

bench_finished.jpg

This is more like it. I use hand tools a lot and I dare say there is hardly a project that goes through my shop that doesn't spend some time on this bench. I have the leg vice and an end vice with the square dog holes and I just can't imagine working without out. I use it all the time! I have a large shop and was given a 10' oval conference table. It's a great space to work on too. If I had to just pick one it would be a woodworking bench because you can use it for so much more.

Here's mine

Christian,

Here's a link to mine -- plans from ShopNotes

I like it a lot. It stands in part of the garage -- which is only a garage when we aren't here. Having it stand out from the wall makes for efficient working, but not efficient space utilization.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15811

Jay

here are a couple of photos of my bench

lou

Christian, my shop is small too. My small workbench was located against a wall. When I needed to work on something large, I set up sawhorses with a plywood top. I liked being able to work from all sides of he sawhorse table and I found myself using it more than my workbench. Finally, I decided to replace my small bench with a large one and put it in the middle of the shop floor so I could get to it from all sides. I love the setup. I wish I'd done it years ago. Here is a photograph of my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Murphy

Jeff, I usually don't point out my fellow Creeker's shortcomings, but I think you missed something in Christian's post....He said work benches, not dining tables!

Seriously Jeff, that is some beautiful wood. I bet it makes working in the shop that much nicer (and harder to stay focused on the task at hand). Jim.(with no current work bench)
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.