Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car tires???

Question Car tires???

It's come to the point where I have little choice than to get some new treads for the car. I'm primarily interested in good handling, particularly in the rain, as I do about 100 miles round-trip daily and in heavy rain, that can be a hairy trip! Snow is not a major issue, as I have rims w/winter snows on them. I can't afford the real high-end meats but, I just checked out the Sears flyer and they have some Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires on sale. Looks to be a real nice, middle of the road tire. Anyone have any experience with this brand, as I've never owned and Falken tires? BTW, these would be going on a Subaru, Outback Sport. Appreciate any input!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    It's come to the point where I have little choice than to get some new treads for the car. I'm primarily interested in good handling, particularly in the rain, as I do about 100 miles round-trip daily and in heavy rain, that can be a hairy trip! Snow is not a major issue, as I have rims w/winter snows on them. I can't afford the real high-end meats but, I just checked out the Sears flyer and they have some Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires on sale. Looks to be a real nice, middle of the road tire. Anyone have any experience with this brand, as I've never owned and Falken tires? BTW, these would be going on a Subaru, Outback Sport. Appreciate any input!
    John,

Is this a serious thread? Are you really looking for some Falken tires? Sorry I just had to do that. Never heard of them, best tire I've owned so far are Michelin's. Don't know anything about Falken tires but they do have a nice web site.

I run mine on a 98 Legacy ... 172k and still going.. (though the rear windshield wiper has died finally).

Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews of various tires. Me I run nothing but BF Goodrich Traction TA all season radials on my car & BF Goodrich All Terrains on the wife's Cherokee. The Traction TA's handle snow & rain fine, run quiet & I get about 75-80k out of them .... I drive 3-4K a month as a service tech. Love the tires. Hate to say but I order them off the web from Walmart and have them put on at the local walmart store. No delivery cost, just 10$ a tire for mount/balance & road hazard. I can find a walmart tire shop just about anywhere if I have a problem and the are open later. Just makes sense for me. This is one case where you will buy cheap skins 2 or 3 times for each good tire .. cost doesn't add up. If you want throw away tires, I put Kumo 732 Touring+ all season radials from discount tire on the kid's neon. They are a touch soft (he flat spotted the front pair avoiding a deer, Discount put new ones on for 12$ each).. but handle the snow well, get good reviews at TireRack and are cheap. Depending on size you can get them for 40$ each or so plus mounting. the BF Goodriche's though are only 65-70 .. 1.5 times the cost, 2-2.5 times the life.. will be cheaper in the long run.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I'm a Michelin guy too. Don't know anything about Falken tires but if the traction and treadwear ratings are good then they should be good tires.

John,
    Check out TOYO tires. I bought some and am quite pleased with them. And they are wlll rated too (at least the ones still made in japan).

another voter here for Michelin, my favorite for cars is the MIchelin X radial, does a good job in NY snow, but wears like iron.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Nothing but Michelin on the truck, daughters Suburban and LOML Mazada 3. Never settle for less...

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Another voter here for Michelin.

Michelin came on the Benz, and that is good enough for me.
    Best Regards, Ken

BTW John, Michelin's are made by the same folks that make Bridgewood.....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale

Brian
    Say WHAT???? Sheeeesh...Wouldn't that make for kind of a rough ride??? I mean...With all that cast iron and such! What in blazes would a tool maker be doing in the tire business???? Now, if you were to tell me that about the Bridgestone tires, I guess I could see it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

John, I've run many different tires over the years on everything from compact cars through 18 wheelers, but always ended back with Michelens. I have put the pencil to it many times, and my absolute best cost/mile AND the least problems throughout the life of the tire has been Michelen, (purchased @ discount tire for at least the past 15 + yrs). My experience has been so good with this combination, that I just can't see changing.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. Tires really are kinda like the Muffler ad..........."Pay me now, or Pay me later".

**Usual disclaimers....No association with any of the above, just a Very Satisfied user.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Gee whiz, I guess I'm odd man out again. I had a set of Michelins years ago, couldn't wait to get rid of them they were so bad in the rain. And I guess, thankfully, they didn't last long.
    I've always been happy with Goodyears (mid priced sets on both cars) and have a set of TA radials on the Falcon (they look good, but haven't seen many miles)

So one dissenting vote.

Wes

Hi John,

Get ready for some sticker shock. The one plant in the country that makes resourcinol (sp?) has been hit hard by the high energy cost and now some idiot(s) have burnt down the railroad tressel going into Petrolia, PA forcing Indspect and the other two plants to truck in all raw materials and out finish product.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi John,

Get ready for some sticker shock. The one plant in the country that makes resourcinol (sp?) has been hit hard by the high energy cost and now some idiot(s) have burnt down the railroad tressel going into Petrolia, PA forcing Indspect and the other two plants to truck in all raw materials and out finish product.
    Charles, you just ain't 'a kiddin'!!! Whew!!! Took a peek at the Michelins a bit ago. Wow! Fantastic reviews (well...except for Wes here! ) and a live expectancy of about 90K. Just don't know if we can swing it. I was looking at the "HydroEdge", which I think would be perfect on the little Sooby I have. The thing is a bit on the light side and really likes to skate around when it's a bit heavier rain. Gonna' keep researching this thing!

Thanks much for all the opinions thus far, guys! Much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale

Brian
    Well Brian, I have never heard of Bridgewood tires. However, I can assure you that:

First - Bridgestone owns Firestone, lock, stock, and barrel. I get a small pension from Firestone.

Second - Michelin owns B F Goodrich, lock, stock, and barrel. I father was retired from Goodrich, and his pension and healthcare was through Michelin.

The only Bridgewood I know about sells woodworking tools.
    Best Regards, Ken